J.E. Toys Bargain basement Airport set - 2000

For planes made after 1980 {The end of Dinky Toys} and those currently being made.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Postby Tone » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:15 pm

J.E. Toys Airport set set new standards for "crude" back in 2000; however, no shop would dare sell such a set for a mere buck today. Look at all it contains:

The Boeing 747 is plastic with die cast upper fuselage only. Note the lack of main cabin windows and the wildly misplaced flight deck. Also note the very uneven rear fuselage side.

Here are two photos of the jet's tractor tug, which is probably copied from another brand. It is too large in scale for the jet.

Here is the all-plastic helicopter, which also appeared in several other playsets of that era, and which might still be available.

The set came with some unusual accessories, but I guess they could be made to work together ...

Here are some shots of the box art, the background "play mat" (too small to be useful) and the company's logo - a cartoon ram.
The play mat, center photo, reminds me of the airport scenes I drew when I was six years old.

Tone

Re: J.E. Toys Bargain basement Airport set - 2000

Postby dasimperator » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:00 am

Yay! A 24 hour superstore right off the access road! And the boys in the control tower have satellite TV!
dasimperator

Postby Tone » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:22 pm

One can also see, by its shape, that the "24 hour superstore" was made out of an old hangar.
Tone

Postby MichaelB » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:03 pm

That's really an awful set, Tony! I have that same tug from a New Ray play set...it's about 1/72, which is good if you have a 1/72 747!
I'm afraid airport/airline play sets aren't what they used to be, and the new standard are the "generic" airline sets from Daron. Again, New Ray under their name, and they are actually a nice set for kids.
They just don't come with nice or unusually nice airplanes like they used to. I had been saving airport play sets of late, but finally gave up and gutted them for their parts. The people, traffic signs, cars and bushes all went to school. I kept the airplanes and any GSE that might even be remotely of use.
MichaelB

Postby Tone » Sun May 03, 2015 7:14 pm

"JE Toys" might have been based in Los Angeles, CA and stood for "Jade Express." This firm issued a lot of cars and other road vehicles that look as though they are better quality than the items in this airport set.
Tone

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 04, 2015 3:00 pm

Yeah, crap play sets like these aren't what they used to be! Crap to crappier!
On the other hand there are now numerous "airport play sets" from a number of folks in 1/400 and 1/500. These can be quite nice but are on the expensive side. The GSE is in scale which is always a plus!
Toys have become more toy-like and models have become more model-like.
MichaelB

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Modern