It happens! A very rare Mercury XF-91

For toys made before 1980. Up to and including Aero Minis and the last of the Dinky Toy aircraft.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

It happens! A very rare Mercury XF-91

Postby grwebster » Sat May 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Back when I was living in Paris the first time during the 1980s, I had a few toys tucked away on a bookshelf in the 18th century, wood paneled living room we rented. My wife {at the time} was not a fan of my hobby so very few were allowed on display. {Understandibly so, as she was the Paris editor of a famous decorating magazine}.
Some of them on the small shelf were a few Italian Mercury aircraft toys from the 1950s.
One night we had an Italian couple over and he saw the aircraft and said, 'Oh I had those when I was a kid, Still have them I think!'
Well I have heard that before in one manner or another so I didn't pursue it.
A few weeks later we got together again and he gives me this XF-91, saying, 'I think it belongs in your collection'.

My jaw dropped and I was speechless. I had been looking for years for this particular model that is considered to be the hardest to find of all the Mercury aircraft, perhaps the white Sky Rocket {complete with plastic nose cone} is almost as scarce.
The XF-91 is the only three color Mercury made.

BTW, I still have the toy but no longer that wife, just sayin......
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Re: It happens! A very rare Mercury XF-91

Postby Aeronaut » Sat May 14, 2011 4:53 pm

grwebster wrote:BTW, I still have the toy but no longer that wife, just sayin......

You do have your priorities right, GR ;) but please, do not share this with my wife :lol:
Aeronaut

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Vintage