A quite hard to find Tekno Jet

For toys made before 1980. Up to and including Aero Minis and the last of the Dinky Toy aircraft.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

A quite hard to find Tekno Jet

Postby grwebster » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:47 pm

Tekno certainly has to rank up there among the finest pre 1980s line of toy aircraft.
Ambulance planes and small Transports, Bombers, Propliners, Jets and Jet fighters. As discussed earlier Tekno inspired the Aero Mini series.
Here is an example of Tekno's Mig 15 in the standard Military green finish

But there is another variant of this toy in red.

The red one is really, really hard to find, I have seen a few of them, 3 or 4 max, but I have never found any reference to this variant nor why it was issued in red. I have learned that certain Russian aerobatic teams flew these in red with sky blue undersides but I wonder?
1. What would inspire Tekno to make a toy of a Communist aircraft in the first place?
2. What relevance is the red variant?

I suppose there really aren't any answers, just as there aren't any for the Tekno
Douglas Dauntless aircraft. The Dauntless didn't serve in Scandinavia that I know of yet it one one of the first toys produced after the war....
in RAF markings
in USAAC
In RAF again, Orange!
RAF again but in camouflage
USAAC
and this one is not a red cross variant, the cross is white. Swiss?

I have another Dauntless variant in Swedish markings but the decal/transfers have faded and the photo is not worth putting up.
Anyone have any other versions of the Dauntless?
What about the B-17, or Blenheim??
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Re: A quite hard to find Tekno Jet

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:55 pm

Reasons for building various subjects can be as mundane as "we had a nice 3 view drawing" and/or "it's in the news". Even these little MPC plastic planes say "Planes From All The World", perhaps in hopes of marketing to those same countries.
Back in the day, those decisions might be simple decisions by the one guy making the models, doing the selling, and running the company. I doubt much market research was done at the time. Nowadays it's a much bigger deal - which is why we see the same subjects again and again from different makers!
If any current maker gets much beyond the Big Four in WWII planes, or the Big Four in modern jets - it's a revelation!
These pieces look very nice, no wonder it inspired AeroMini.
I suppose this development line was different from the Dinky progression. This development being concentrating on "nice models" rather than strict "toys"?
Michael
MichaelB

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Vintage