Bell 204 /205 / UH-1 toys

For toys made before 1980. Up to and including Aero Minis and the last of the Dinky Toy aircraft.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Bell 204 /205 / UH-1 toys

Postby fliegerii » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:30 pm

One could think, this topic will become a long story, but the contrary is the case. Only fery few toys of this super-famous helicopter were made. Until a few days I had nothing, and now I have probably most of what was ever made, and for sure the best:

- Corgi #924 Bell 205 Blue Rescue w. floaters, same model came later in orange

- Nomura (T.N.) Bell 204 Police (also available as German ADAC in yellow and Fire Rescue in orange)

Apart from the above toys, some additional cheap Japan tin toys were issued, but not accurate. Later came the Ertl Force One, but that is not anymore in my scope (Chinese origin).

No Army version was ever made, I guess..
I think, you can imagine why.

The Corgi and the Nomura are rather inexpensive. The Corgi goes around 25,- Euro and the Nomura between 35,- and 80,-. Prices are for boxed models.
Attachments
PICT1298_1.JPG
PICT1298_1.JPG (126.76 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
fliegerii

Re: Bell 204 /205 / UH-1 toys

Postby Aeronaut » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:08 pm

There are many more than these two. Corgi has a few releases on their small model series (Showcase). There is at least one release (orange) from Zee (Dynaflites). DeAgostini has released several variants in 1:100 scale in their "Helicopters of the World" series and in their "Airplanes and Helicopters" series. There is one from DeAgostini in 1:72 scale in their "Caravinieri" series. Mandarin has at least one. There are several from NewRay in at least two different scales. Prosper, a now defunct Chinese manufacturer, has one in 1:100 scale. Hobby Master has released at least three liveries in 1:72 scale. There is one in 1:48 scale from the Franklin Mint. There are some from Mira (Spain) in two different scales. Model Power has two releases within their Postage Stamp series.

I am sure there are some more that don't come to mind at this time.
Aeronaut

Postby fliegerii » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Aeronaut,

yes you are right. What I mean are "vintage toys", I was not clear enough.

Most of what you list up are new fashioned "collector items" Made in China, but they do not meet my interest. The Zee and the MIRA would be interesting to see.
fliegerii

Postby grwebster » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:04 pm

There was a rather nice, small plastic Huey Gunship made by Bachmann in their Mini Plane series. It was the early T.O.W. missile variation.

The Japanese firm, T.N. made a plastic US Army Huey, almost 15 inches long.

Unfortunately, I do find that there are very few, good, vintage Huey toys to collect. I have the Corgis, and a nice early ERTL NASA white Huey {the later Army one is larger and has a major error in the tail boom casting}. The later ones seem to be too 'collectible' for me.

Probably the best toy in my opinion of the Huey is this quite accurate UH-1C gunship by 21st Century, but as it is huge- 1/18th scale and no longer produced. They also made a CIA one in Air America markings. It came with pilots and gunners in accurate flying gear. Note the tiny Bachmann on the roof.

As Chris and some others know I have a very close personal relationship with Bell's Huey. Here is my UH-1C Huey Gunship attack helicopter in Vietnam. The Plain of Reeds, 1968.
I was wounded in this ship, and shot down in three others. It was a great aircraft.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby fliegerii » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:45 pm

GR,

your T.N. is looking like a later plastic copy of the original one made of tin.

You know, I am the metal guy... I do not focus on plastic toys.

Your personal photograph is great. I was once flying as a passenger in the UH-1 during my Army service. I was carefully watching the red light in the canopy saying "RPM limit", always lighting.... Here in Germany the Huey is still in service in the Army.
fliegerii

Postby MichaelB » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:04 am

...loads and loads of Bell UH-1 toys on the market, as has already been noted. Considering the real thing dates from the early '60s, there is never going to be very many "vintage" pieces out there. Most of the attention was focused on this ship because of the war in Vietnam, and that led to a flood of contemporaneous releases.
Yes, the DynaFlite is quite nice but comes marked as a Marines ship in orange! They also released a less common "green" version. It didn't last in the line; I don't know why.
Michael
MichaelB

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Vintage