Lintoy MiG-21

For toys made before 1980. Up to and including Aero Minis and the last of the Dinky Toy aircraft.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Re: Lintoy MiG-21

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Lintoy Military
All feature retractable metal undercarriage. Early issues included “working” flaps, quickly abandoned.
Sold by Lintoy, Schuco, Bachmann, ERTL and Corgi. This list does not include later issues from Road Champs, Maisto, Flyers or their derivatves. All these issues should include the name Lintoy cast in the piece. Use this list as a guide only – there can be several color and packaging variants. One photo I have shows some 14 different variants of the Me-262!
The Modern Jets series often included some plastic intake splitters (for lack of a better term). They detracted from the appearance and quality of the piece but persisted until the end, including the last Flyers.
These could be purchased in their Flyers derivatives as late as 1999, but originally came onto the market in c1970; Corgi in 1973. Originally from Hong Kong, there are some interim issues from Singapore – all marked on the pieces.

Modern Jets
Mig21
As noted in this thread, there is a shorter version from Lintoy, so, two molds.
Silver
Blue

Jaguar
gray camo, red intakes, flaps
green camo

F11F
Metallic Blue

F4E
Camo

Drakken
Silver
Gray and green Camo

F104A
Green with blue camo

WWII
P-47D
Green camo

P-51D
Silver
Camo

Spitfire
Camo

DB-7
Camo

Me-410
Gray camo w/without flaps
Black/green/white camo

Me-262
Early issue with tail wheel; later issues with tricycle gear.
Silver
Light green fuselage; dark wings with white Camo (many variants)

Zero
Greenish
Silver
MichaelB

a complete Lintoy ERTL, Corgi, Bachman listing

Postby grwebster » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:38 pm

There some others to add, Michael, as you build the definitive list, and be sure to include Corgi also as they had their name on some on the packaging distributed in the UK using the same Lintoy castings.
Some were made in Singapore, too, I assume after Hong Kong production, and some of the early issues had moveable control surfaces, later eliminated, I never focused on it much and don't recall which did
a DE HAVILLAND 88 COMET RACER, a Piper Cherokee Arrow, a PIPER NAVAJO, Camo and gray P-51s, a camo ME 410, camo and silver JAGUARs, a silver F-11, a F-4 in gray/silver, a gray Spitfire, a Lear jet, and there were 2 different camo versions of the Me-410. There must be others to, I'll look around. At one point I had 65 of them including some duplicates.
I didn't collect their airliners much.
Good luck with the list and thanks for attempting it. I would be incapable.
GR
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Well, the site screwed up my formatting of the list, so it might be difficult to understand. I did mention Corgi (twice) and some production details. I was really looking for major mold/casting differences and a general guide to the overall colors of the issues.
These are the military models; the airliner and civil issues are coming. Lintoy broke them into the two categories, as I will.
I am more of an airliner collector but I've plenty of the military pieces, especially the later Flyers, Woolworths and Tak-A-Toy issues. Fascinating stuff! I have been reviewing Richardson for this list and I'm somewhat surprised at her omissions and lack of detail - and I'm not that big of a Lintoy collector! ...I suppose they weren't either! Stil - Richardson's the best listings on the open market...except for what you might find here at MAC!
MichaelB

Postby grwebster » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Sue and Mike Richardson's books were mostly done without the aide of the interent, google searches and the like, so much of their research was by 'word of mouth'. They did have some insider history of some manufacturers as they started their work before these went bankrupt. They were active at toy shows, swap meets and were one of the first to publish a collectors magazine, but it was a general diecast one, not focused on airplanes.
When I wrote my book, Dinky Toys Aircraft, 1934-1979, a few years ago I found too errors and deletions in their work but then I had all the modern advantages, knew of many newer discoveries, digital photo sharing, and a wide group of collectors. Plus two people who were expert, specialized aircraft collectors and helped me enormously, Sir George Cox and John Beugels.
I met both Mike and Sue a few times in England, and they were modest, shy folks who just wanted to share their passion and knowledge. Sue is missed and Mike is in deep retirement. They were founding members in TPN.
I didn't want to step on the Richardson's work, however and contacted Mike about my project, he encouraged me and even wrote the introduction to my book which I dedicated to Sue.
Over the years I met and enjoyed knowing many airplane collectors and am saddened to realize that most are no longer around to share their passions. All are missed, well they are a few who aren't, .... but still.
You make take pleasure, Michael,in knowing that you too will be long remembered for your generous sharing and passion by the survivors. And that is a good thing!
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby grwebster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:36 am

some mint in box early and hard to find Lintoys/Corgi Bachmann, ERTLs from my collection are being sold on 12 dec- plus hundreds of other vintage aircraft toys in 50 other lots of diecast planes like" Lone Star, Dinky, Solido, CIJ, SIKU, Mercury, Erie, Tootsietoy, etc......

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewAuctio ... 6653&Sub=0
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:08 pm

GR, thank you for those kind words. I only follow in your footsteps.

I have again revised my list of Lintoy Military issues in order to improve it's readability.
Do we need to list all the color variants? ...I hope not, but I'm always open to observations and suggestions.
MJB
MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:45 pm

Lintoy civil/airline issues. Corgi, Lintoy, Tomy, Bachmann, ERTL- all with Lintoy marks. As with the military models early issues of the GA planes came with working flaps. Retractable gear on all. Airline liveries are period. The GA planes are mostly white as to be expected. As before no Flyers or etc.are included.
The SAA issues, VC-10 and DH88 are rare issues.

Lockheed Tristar L-1011
Air Canada
TWA
Air France
All Nippon
Delta

CP Air
Air Canada
WardAir
BA
SCA
PAA
KLM
JAL
SAA

747 SCA
ERTL only with Lintoy modified mold and Shuttle (ERTL would later issues it's own mold of the SCA and Shuttle - somewhat larger)

VC-10
British Airways

DC-10
American
Air France
Swissair
United

B707
Delta
Air France
SAA
As DC8, AA

DC8 (Same cast as 707 but w/o fin probe)
Air Canada
UAL

DC-9
EAL
Air Canada
SAS
Swissair
TWA

B727
BN Blue upper; two tone blue
Air Canada
TWA
SAA

Concorde
BOAC
BA
EAL
JAL

Piper Navajo
Piper Cherokee Arrow
Lear Jet

DH88

Blue

Miniatures for Swissair and Lufthansa
DC-10
MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:12 pm

Don't ask...but I'm beginning to think that the Lintoy F-104A is a copy of the Comet plastic kit from the '60s.
Attachments
MichaelB

Postby richardstarr » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:32 am

AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, THE LINTOY SERIES OF PROPELLOR/JET AIRCRAFT WAS THE GREATEST AIRCRAFT DIECAST LINE EVER.
I BELIEVE THEY CAME OUT AROUND 1974, ALTHOUGH THIS IS A ROUGH GUESS. THIS IS MERELY A TEST TO SEE IF I CAN STILL POST ON THIS WEBSITE.
GREETINGS TO ALL AIRCRAFT DIECAST COLLECTORS!!!! I HAVE APPROXIMATELY 1,000 DIECAST AIRPLANES COLLECTED OVER THE YEARS.
REGARDS, RICHARD STARR
richardstarr

Postby hovermd » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:57 pm

Yep. You can still post. Unfortunately, photo uploading is still a big problem.

I've always been fascinated that Lintoy made such great helicopters, but then released them through Corgi and ERTL.
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

PreviousNext

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Vintage