The Last of the Dinky Toy aircraft? Which one is the rarest?

For toys made before 1980. Up to and including Aero Minis and the last of the Dinky Toy aircraft.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

The Last of the Dinky Toy aircraft? Which one is the rarest?

Postby grwebster » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:58 am

Sue Richardson notes in her books that at the end of Dinkys trading life in 1979, they released the Space Shuttle. The firm went out of business a few months later which would imply that this toy must be rather scarce. As my collecting focus is usually pre-1970 and space craft have little interest to me, I never added this toy to the collection. Last year as part of my research I set about to acquire a boxed example and learned that it is indeed a hard toy to find in good boxed condition.
It took a while but I finally found this example. It has orange plastic booster rockets, and Sue mentioned only white ones. ?
With the 'big plane' series starting with the apx 1:78 scale Beechcraft Bonaza in 1965 until the factory shut down in early 1980, they produced apx 17 different castings {including the Shuttle}. They were produced in various scales from 1:60 to 1:90 apx and some planes were issued with several variations, like the F-4 Phantom and Sea King Helicopter. Of these the P-47 Thunderbolt, at least judging from the prices at auctions, is the hardest to find.
But I wonder....{these 'big' planes on ebay are usually less than $90 in box/blister but the P-47 can reach levels 3 times that} is it really that rarer that the Shuttle? The P-47 had a 3-4 year production life, and others much less.
The Bell helicopter, for example, was issued over a wide period in the Police set and is fairly common.{BTW I flew Bell 47s and hate this toy. Doesn't do the real aircraft justice. The design of the real aircraft is so pure and functional that an example hangs in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.}
but there is an Army olive green variant that is never seen that was issued in another set.
The Me-109 was issued in a nice desert camouflage
but apparently there was a simple green with yellow wing tips issued for only a few months. I have never seen this one either.
Any thoughts?
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Re: The Last of the Dinky Toy aircraft? Which one is the rar

Postby dasimperator » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:57 pm

A couple pix of that M.A.S.H. 'copter at MoMA

Didn't need an electropass to walk up to it...

...but seeing as it was bolted to the ceiling there was no escaping The Village on that whirlybird
Last edited by dasimperator on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasimperator

Postby fliegerii » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:05 pm

I love these toys. The Dinky big planes as well as their Japanese copies (Dieca hobby) are the incarnation of die cast aircraft toys. No one did it better before and after.

Regarding the rarity, from casting point of view the Shuttle is on top. However it should not be the most rare version. The one you find hardest is the F-4 II USAF, followed by the green/yellow ME-109.
I do not include the chromed Spitfire made as promotion for the RAF. This is a special series not sold on market, as far as I know (if so, this would be the one).

Regarding your Shuttle: The boosters and the Hydrogen tank were always white... unfortunately Dinky used a plastic mixture here, which shows strong ageing and discolouration. Fans of 1/200 Herpa Premium models know, what I am talking about. Most of the Dinky Shuttles show this strong colour fading. I am rather happy to have one, which is only slightly yellowed.

Below is the green ME-109. The prop is replacement part (got the incomplete model just for 10,- Euro on Xbay while ago).
Attachments
Dinky Me109.JPG
Dinky Me109.JPG (54.27 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
fliegerii

Postby grwebster » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks for posting the Bell -47 pic, dasimperator. I haven't been back in NYC in 6/7 years but always drop by the museum when I do.- Oddly, I have a 1966 E Type Jag, series 1 4.2 roadster which the MOMA also has in their permanent collection. Two wonderful, ageless designs. Both fun to fly and drive.
Chris-fliegerii- interesting input on the Shuttle, mine sure looks like it was made in that yellow but now I can see it has faded. Nice to know as it bothered me.
I sure hope I have that green Me-109 put away somewhere because for years I thought the camo one was the hard one to find. Have to keep looking.
I have that chromed RAF Spitfire trophy thing but it must be with the green Me-109, haven't seen it in years
Here is the USAF Phantom.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby dasimperator » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:30 am

grwebster wrote:Thanks for posting the Bell -47 pic, dasimperator. I haven't been back in NYC in 6/7 years but always drop by the museum when I do.- Oddly, I have a 1966 E Type Jag, series 1 4.2 roadster which the MOMA also has in their permanent collection. Two wonderful, ageless designs. Both fun to fly and drive.

Got pictures of that too...

Fun being able to use an old Apple QuickTake 200 while everyone else was being reminded not to take flash pictures. QT-200 didn't have a flash.
dasimperator

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Vintage