SCHUCO small airliners, predecessors to Schabak etc.

For toys made before 1980. Up to and including Aero Minis and the last of the Dinky Toy aircraft.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Re: SCHUCO small airliners, predecessors to Schabak etc.

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Those are the Schabak 1/250 DC-3. Did Schuco ever issue it?
There's no question that Schabak was the departure point for Herpa and the lines that followed. They simply made a better model, and at the same time bumped up the cost dramatically. The industry matured, and even my little Dyna-Flites were tampo printed over time. The Schabak decals were of marginal quality and could look very, very bad.
For current toys, I think 1/600 is too small simply because some of the planes are too edible!
I suppose the current line of RealToy/Daron airport playset planes is just about spot on for the kiddies, and they have had some surprising issues - has anyone ever seen their Dornier 328 reappear?
All this poses the point: What line is out there at the "toy" price point, features little "models" of a variety of subjects and is ubiquitious enough for kids to see? The answer, of course, is none - save for the Daron toys mentioned. I gotta give a thumbs up to Matchbox for at least having some airliners (some even in airline schemes!) and some nice biz jets!
Perhaps this is why we see Maisto coming with their first (uh, actually 2nd, but that's old business) airliners....
Michael
MichaelB

Postby grwebster » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Shuco and Shabak aircraft get respect here, Ralph, but then we are toy collectors first, I suppose. {Along with models, IDs Travel agency items, manufacturers models etc....}
I recall watching a french friend start to collect Shabak aircraft when they took over Shuco, and each time I would visit, his collection would triple in size. he bought every one they made, every one. Before long he was drowning under them. A great collection though which I hope someone has bought up intact, as Maurice is no longer with us.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:58 pm

I can understand completely the attempt to acquire ALL of the Schabaks! However, I limited myself to the following categories:
Airline Box Sets
DC-3s
...anything cheap on the tables as I went by!

My Gemini (et al) collection consists of items in my fancied airlines (vintage equipment only): Braniff, TTA and Eastern (and I have hardly touched upon them within the depth of the lines.)

And did I mention anything cheap on the tables as I went by? That too! :D
From most of these lines all I ever need is a representative sample, and if it's in my favorite airline or aircraft type - so be it.

In the end, my box of Schabak airline box sets is very impressive and satisfying!
Michael
MichaelB

Previous

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Vintage