Hubley Airport Set Still in original Box - photo attached

For toys made before 1980. Up to and including Aero Minis and the last of the Dinky Toy aircraft.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Hubley Airport Set Still in original Box - photo attached

Postby basementdigger » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:23 am

Hello,
I am searching for some info on this set I have. I found it at an estate cleanout and can not find anything specifically on an "Airport Set" by Hubley. The seal has never been broken although one of the planes is not attached inside anymore, but it is still sealed.
Any help would be appreciated....I do want to sell it and usually go through ebay...any ideas on the dollar value would be helpful as well!!
Thanks so much!

*** I can not upload a photo....I'm sorry! The set has 2 planes, one truck, one firetruck, one gasoline pump, and on white car that may have been an ambulance? The planes have NC4372 or their wings.
Last edited by basementdigger on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basementdigger

Re: Hubley Airport Set Still in original Box

Postby grwebster » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Without a photo, not much to say.

here is a selection of Hubley sets sold at auction
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/search?q ... te&rows=20

as far as price go for a complete set click on the photo and it will appear. you must be signed on for this to happen, though.

in general prices can vary widely as the most import things considered when setting a price or buying an object are originality and condition.

as for the price for an empty box condition is key. Unfortunately Hubley was not known for sensational box art, as most of the boxes were cheap card board, easily damaged, and usually meant to be turned into a hanger, garage, dock, firehouse, or something related to the toys in the set.

But as your business is finding and reselling, you should know this and also that there is a buyer for everything.

There are some serious Hubley aircraft collectors on this site and they could be interested in your empty box, but you hadfirst better figure out how to take photos. Then post them it in the for sale section of this site.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Re: Hubley Airport Set Still in original Box

Postby basementdigger » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:34 pm

I figured out how to resize. Thank you.
Attachments
basementdigger

Re: Hubley Airport Set Still in original Box - photo attache

Postby grwebster » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks, that helps, was there a sleeve or cello wrap that slid over or covered the open box?

You will have some trouble finding the 2 Piper Cubs to go in that box if that is your goal. I know nothing about the vehicles.

The Hubley Piper Cubs are very hard to find and can sell for upwards of $75 each. They were produced in red and OD, but oddly not in the standard Piper Cub Yellow color to my knowledge.

I believe this Piper is their finest post war metal aircraft toy, it is close to being scale accurate with the hard rubber balloon type tires {the lack of the wing struts doesn't detract}. It also avoided the ridiculous practice of showing rivets and deep panel lines that is so popular with many recent metal issues but totally absurd when you consider scales.
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby basementdigger » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:35 pm

Thank you for responding.
The box is sealed completely in plastic. If I were to break the plastic there would only be an open box...I'm not breaking the plastic!
basementdigger

Postby grwebster » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Quality control at Hubley's Penna plant was not that bad! And what store would put an empty box on dispaly? And who would buy an empty box from a store?
All very unlikely and I therefore doubt the plastic seal is original, more likely it was added when someone found the box and wanted to protect it.

thanks for sharing.
GR Webster
grwebster

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Vintage