FOKKER TRI-MOTOR

Lead toys were popular in the 1920s-30s. Makers such as Kansas Toy and Novelty, C.A. Woods made many different types of toys.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

FOKKER TRI-MOTOR

Postby Tone » Sat May 14, 2011 2:26 am

Here is my Lead Slush Mold, Fokker tri-motor made in the the early 1930s, I think.

Note the red tin props, the painted wheels, and the lack of paint on the underside!

Manufacturer is, I think, Lincoln White Metal, but if this identification is incorrect, please let me know! Thanks.

Tone

Re: FOKKER TRI-MOTOR

Postby grwebster » Sat May 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Tone, remember Perry Eichor? He was the only guy I knew who could identify all the various American makers of lead, slush cast {hollow} aircraft toys. I don't think he is active here on the site even though I have invited him.

Some of the lead manufacturers in the USA that come to mind were Barclay, Kansas Toy and Novelty, Charles A. Wood, Lincoln White Metal Works, Manoil, Ralstoy, and of course the very early Dowst {later became Tootsietoys, but they made no lead airplanes that I know of, just vehicles}.

Problem is that most of these early lead toy makers did not put their names on the toys.

These all started disappearing in the early 1930s as modern, efficient die casting equipment and Mazac { 'mazak' or 'zamak or whatever it is called} alloy came about.
I don't think the health issue was raised until after WW2
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby kpmflyn » Sat May 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Tone wrote:Here is my Lead Slush Mold, Fokker tri-motor made in the the early 1930s, I think.

Note the red tin props, the painted wheels, and the lack of paint on the underside!

Manufacturer is, I think, Lincoln White Metal, but if this identification is incorrect, please let me know! Thanks.

kpmflyn

Postby grwebster » Sat May 14, 2011 10:19 pm

perry confirmed to me in an email that the Fokker is probably a copy of the Lincoln White Metal Works toy.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby kpmflyn » Sun May 15, 2011 2:56 am

This appears to be a Lincoln White Metal Co. Tri-motor. However, some years ago someone attempted to reproduce several Lincoln and CAW items and I believe this is one of them. Lincoln and Charles A Wood (CAW) were the premier slush cast toy makers of the 30's. Their items were light and had crisp markings and detail. The surface finish was as smooth as diecast items and sometimes even better. This one appears a little crude and heavy. The props are correct though so it may just be a crude repaint making it appear a little heavy. The tin props have not been reproduced to the best of my knowledge. Hope this helps. Keep'em Flying! Perry R. Eichor
kpmflyn

Postby Tone » Sun May 15, 2011 3:09 am

Thanks for the information folks !
Tone

Return to Lead slush cast planes