Lrg Marx DC4 -Next Project

toys made by Marx, Wyandotte, Steelcraft etc....

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Lrg Marx DC4 -Next Project

Postby soslipstream » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Good Morning All,
I got to work last night on my next proposed project with a Lrg Marx DC4. Since the last project, the Pan-Am with open door, Air-stairs and passengers, worked out well, I thought I would proceed in the same vein with the next. This one is an early version (MK I ?) whereas my first was a MK II (Open door). The later, third version, with the wheel-turns-props mechanism will be MK III.

This DC4 is a Type I so a little less glamour but structurally in good shape. After checking many photos, I struggled with "Glamming this Gal". What I have decided is to bring in a new Accent piece, in scale, to raise interest. In this case I have a classic, cast white metal, 1950's Tootsie Toy B model Mack tractor and tanker. Possibly, its is the closest to scale (about 1:50) but not super detailed. I wish that MARX had made a pressed steel unit to scale which would have been my preference. The truck arrived somewhat rough so I puttered around with it for a while. I wanted to have the tanker "doing something" direct with the airplane. Having a hose fueling the bird makes sense "umbilically speaking". The problem was attachments. Looking again at many photos, the classic skirted tankers have appeal as well as allowing me to create an plumbing attachment at the truck. So, with a thin sheet aluminum, the tanker has being modified to a more of a Raymod Loewy appearance. The miniature rubber hose can then be attached to the left wing via the hole already existing. That hole was used for hanging the wing during paint application at Marx. I will most likely flesh out the display with Marx figures, painted this time.
I believe I will pursue an American Airlines livery this time and have the truck dressed in a red and yellow "Aeroshell" motif. I do have a COE cab from Tootsie Toy that may be modified to work with the tanker, Any opinions? Any ideas or suggestion along the way? Speak up anytime.

Best Regards,
Tom Sanders
Attachments
DC$ & Tanker 10%.JPG
DC$ & Tanker 10%.JPG (50.06 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
DC4 & Tanker 10%.JPG
DC4 & Tanker 10%.JPG (49.22 KiB) Viewed 5921 times
soslipstream

Re: Lrg Marx DC4 -Next Project

Postby soslipstream » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:41 pm

Here is a better shot of the future "Aeroshell" Fuel Tanker.

Regards, Tom Sanders
Attachments
Tootsie Tanker 10%.JPG
Tootsie Tanker 10%.JPG (50.78 KiB) Viewed 5919 times
soslipstream

Postby grwebster » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:29 pm

Should be interesting project. One point, though, I am 90% sure they were refueled from the top of the wing, not underneath. I flew in these {actually the military version, a C-54} often enough that I should know for sure but I am keeping 10% wiggle room..... memories fade and I was not the guy holding the hose.....
You might consider an USAAF version in od {olive drab}. Marx actually did one, I think, but done up the way you do them, it could be an interesting subject.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby soslipstream » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Now that I think back, I believe you are right on the "top down" fueling. It is not a problem to swap things around. Better visuals anyway. Would they use a ladder to get onto the wing? Would it be like a roll away ladder like those used for servicing engines? I could fabicate one from brass tube if needed.

As for the military version. I am already toying with WWII era in olive drab or early 50's with the tanker dressed in royal blue and white lettering. Should I even consider an olive drab airplane with gray undersides? That's getting pretty far off the "reservation". Those colorful 50's-60's motifs seem more marketable.

BTW, just purchased a MK III airplane with the wheel-turn-prop mechanism. I will be curious to see what it will take to get that one finished.

Regards, Tom Sanders
soslipstream

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 pm

The DC-4 was fueled from above. Often times a ladder was placed on the top of the tanker to get on the wing. If you place a ladder on the ground, it should be near the wing root as the fueler would walk the wing out. On military planes (although I have seen it on some commercials) the emergency window exit would be removed to gain access to the wing. That might be going a bit far for a retro-project!
Love what you're doing...they look great! AA would be a good choice, although I like Braniff - but everyone (just about) flew the DC-4.
Michael
MichaelB

Postby soslipstream » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Great... and thanks Michael. I will start creating a ladder thingy. Marx apparently molded Air Force Figures in
40 mm. There is a pilot included wearing a 50 mission crush and leather jacket. I will keep my eyes open for one. That guy I will detail paint for sure and have him standing looking at the plane! I guess a Jeep or 6X6 in this scale would make sense as well.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Regards, Tom Sanders
soslipstream

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Not to just state the obvious, but...you're in about 1/48 scale, so there are huge numbers of plastic "people" out there in that scale. If you want to use "vintage" you should also look at the various "O" gauge folks including Lionel. I used a number of O people on some dioramas I built...
Monogram also had a nice WWII GSE set a few years back, but I love your TT gas truck! I wish something like that was on the market!
Michael
MichaelB

Postby soslipstream » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Michael,

Thanks for compliment on my modified TT. Weirdest thing was that I had a dream about how to modify the truck! My wife shrugged if as par for my course but it sorta gave me the willies. It seems to work so why sweat it?

As for O guage people, I guess my perspective was focused on Marx figures, possibly to tight a focus. I was thinking more from the perspective of a toy collector. Granted "O" gauge was always considered the "toy gauge" of trains so using other manufacturers products might work. I suppose since I am setting a precedence with this project, it should give it consideration. I will wait to decide further avenues after this goes to market.

Regards, Tom Sanders
soslipstream

Postby BoeingDriver » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:57 am

I like your idea of American Airlines and the Shell truck. Great colors.

Back in the day I remember riding a military C-118. They sent the crew chief out on the wing and he was handed the fuel nozzle by another man on the ground. This refuelling was at a civil field and they probably did not have any specialized ladders. When I was a lineboy back in my college days we had a long ladder with curved, padded arms to rest against the leading edge when we had to overwing old propliners like Convair 240, 240, 440 and Martinliners. The only time I refuelled a DC-6 I handed the hose up to the flight engineer who walked the wing putting a set amount of fuel in each tank and I would hollar out when he got what he wanted.

During the prop era at any major terminal there used to be all kinds of stands which were wheeled out to the plane on block-in so mechanics could check oil levels and refuel. All that ground support equipment has all but disappeared today as you can fly turbine equipment all day without checking oil levels and single point refuelling is done either from the ground or from stand mounted on pumpers at the underwing refuel station.

Ladd
BoeingDriver

Postby soslipstream » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:44 am

Ladd,

Excellent input. I will work on mock-ups and present them for review probably in early Febuary. I have much to do family wise and lots of travel through the rest of January with my real-time employment.

Thanks to All,
Tom Sanders
soslipstream

Next

Return to Pressed Steel