Kilgore TAT Tri-motor Copy

Popular in the 1920s and 1930s.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Kilgore TAT Tri-motor Copy

Postby alumtube » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Do you know who made this plane? It is a Kilgore copy, parts was casted in aluminum and were somewhat crudly casted. Spend some time to grind down the parts, happy with the result. I call it my "Poor mans Kilgor TAT Plane" Only marking was FL on the inside of body. Was bough in Columbus OH ( Kilgores factoy was in Westerville, a suburb of Columbus. ) but I not familiar with any other Aluminum Kilgore planes.
Attachments
alumtube

Re: Kilgore TAT Tri-motor Copy

Postby grwebster » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:26 pm

I had heard that in the 1980s or so original parts were found for the Kilgore Ford tri-motor and some were assembled and sold. They were sold as reissues at the time.
I know nothing more than that. I would think the newly issued ones might have used screws and not steel rivets like the originals but that is only a guess. The Kilgore's unpainted metal pieces were chromed. Perhaps the paint colors were different?
Here is an original one. It came from Sy Merrall's collection and he was an expert, and honest collector.

I know little about these cast iron aircraft, catalogs date them pretty well but the cast in numbers/codes have never been explained to me and remain a mystery. The few experts on cast iron are long gone, I fear, and I doubt much information will come to light.

You have a wonderful and wide collection, BTW, please keep those photos coming.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Re: Kilgore TAT Tri-motor Copy

Postby bstewart9 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:43 am

Here is mine. It is not quite as nice as GR's.

Bill Stewart
bstewart9

Return to Cast Iron Airplanes