Showcase Miniatures

Ready made plastic toys such as Renwal, Palitoy, Acme, Processed Plastics, etc...

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Showcase Miniatures

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Well, I didn't find this line of pre-built collectible aircraft anywhere else here, so I thought I'd go ahead and start the thread. This is almost a forgotten line these days, what with all the nice new models out there. At the time ('70s) it was another attempt at issuing a "collectibles" line of aircraft - and it didn't get very far. It's out of Hong Kong and was sold in the US by Cox (the r/c airplane people) and then by AHM, a hobby distributor.
What's notable is that they come in these little clear plastic truncated pyramids, just like the Lintoys, Edisons and some others. Really not too surprising, considering they all source from Hong Kong. These were built up kits and indeed they were later sold by AHM as plastic model kits. They variously labled them as 1/87 and 1/72, but they are closer to 1/100 when you get done with them.
I had a question posed to me on another forum and in response I got the SM issue of the Winne Mae out and took some photos. These little plastic homes really protect the models over the years! What impressed me was the build quality - excellent! ...although they didn't fill and sand seams, it still built up well and with excellent decal application. I was also surprised to see moving control surfaces and, needless to say - the prop spins and the wheels roll!
These have fallen out of favor in the past two decades as they have been replaced with higher quality die cast issues- mostly!
They did make two sizes of some of them - this time actually approaching 1/72.
Again, the line didn't seem to go anywhere with retailers but is another interesting look at a quality product from the Far East back when was still an exotic place.
I'll be back in a bit with a full release list.
Michael
Attachments
MichaelB

Re: Showcase Miniatures

Postby Tone » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:45 pm

I have just one of these: the Zeke. I paid $5 for it at a local junque shoppe.

Tone

Re: Showcase Miniatures

Postby grwebster » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:28 pm

check the next Vectis UK auction, I had the entire set that was lumped into one lot and didn't sell the first time around. this time bid on them as they have NO reserve.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Return to Plastic toys