TWA Constellation

Models contracted and paid by the airlines to be put on display in travel agencies.

Moderator: larrymak

TWA Constellation

Postby MichaelB » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Here's a good one on eBay; it just sold for over $6k. It looks to be in great shape except for a note about the wooden undercarriage. It makes me wonder - what wooden undercarriage? Wouldn't this have been a stand mounted model?
Anyway...out of my collecting area but I always appreciate a beautiful vintage model!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160938916632?ss ... 1438.l2649
MichaelB

Re: TWA Constellation

Postby fliegerii » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:17 pm

This is an original Constellation model made by Lockheed. They say, Lockheed used the original alu-sheet for the real one to manufacture these models.
These models were made without gear plus a stand or in a larger version with gear. I have never seen a real model, so I do not know, if the wooden undercarriage is really genuine.

The selling price is rather high. I am aware or prices around 3000,- to 4000,- USD, but this one is way above....
There are some really crazy collectors out there in this moment...

You can see more Lockheed models here:

http://www.art-aviation.com/galerie2.htm
fliegerii

Re: TWA Constellation

Postby grwebster » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:56 pm

I have seen and held the one with landing gear. it had metal doors and struts, just the wheels were wooden, simple turned wood painted black
The windows were all individual plexi perspex and the one I saw up close had none left in place, sbut some were still present clattering around inside.
Never heard the story about using the same grade of sheet alu as the full scale aircraft, but why not. The planes would have used different gauges in different parts
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Return to Travel Agency Models