Twenty Year Old SCHABAK

For planes made after 1980 {The end of Dinky Toys} and those currently being made.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Twenty Year Old SCHABAK

Postby Tone » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:36 pm

I bought these planes around 1990. They are from the Plane Shop in New York City (now the Red Caboose, next to the Holiday Inn on 45th Street) and FEE, Far Eastern Enterprise, a mail order firm with a nice color catalog showing all these toy models.

My goal was to have one of each casting, and to choose an interesting livery. Collectors despise Schabak today and one can see the reasons here: the size was too small, the castings were not precise, the decorations often frayed at the edges, and improper packaging resulted in broken parts. These were all made in Germany, however, and do have a solid feel for their size.

Convair 440

DC-4

DC-6

Viscount 708

Super Constellation

Comet IV

Caravelle

TriStar

737-400

747-200

747-300

747-400

Ilyushin (Iliouchine) Il-76

Ilyushin Il-96

A-300
Tone

Re: Twenty Year Old SCHABAK

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:19 pm

I always liked the Schabaks and have lots of them. However, I was happy to see Herpa come along and have the entire genre begin to bump up it's quality standards. However, the Schabaks sold for $6-10 or so, and the new crop of Herpas are at $20 while Gemini and etc are double that. That's the price of going from a "toy" to an "adult collectible"....
But at least they read the market potential well...
And it's an old story too..."old world" producer gives in to foreign production (China, of course!). They dropped the production costs dramatically and raised the retail! Winner! China now owns the industry, although this latest crop of Skybusters came from Thailand....not the first time that's happened...
Michael
MichaelB

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Modern