Tonka Planes

For planes made after 1980 {The end of Dinky Toys} and those currently being made.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Tonka Planes

Postby Tone » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:44 am

I spotted a "new" (to me) series of "Tonka Planes." The back of the card states manufacturer is Funrise, licensed by Hasbro - unlike the old days when the toys were truly Tonka. The cards have a 2015 release date and the toys are made in Vietnam (!) They look as though they are made of painted die cast metal but they might be plastic and / or have plastic components.

The three items I noticed are a Lockheed C-130 Hercules in white/red, a Canadair CL-215 with four engines (!!) in red/yellow and something akin to a B-25 Mitchell on floats in orange. The C-130 is the size of a Sky-buster C-130, and other items are similar size.

I can remember the name "Tonka" used for Maisto Tailwinds several years ago.
Tone

Re: Tonka Planes

Postby hovermd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Just curious - do you have any pictures of the C-130?
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby Tone » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:49 pm

There are some photos on eBay, Amazon, etc. of toys in the packaging.
The stabilizers are wrong! I remember they are attached midway up the fin rather than to the aft fuselage, which would be correct.

"Tonka" (once again - probably in name only) issued some metal + plastic copters I saw within the past few years.
Tone

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:15 pm

I haven't seen these in the stores. Even Matchbox is getting hard to find these day - all these pesky Disney planes!
Yeah, Tonka slapped their name on some Maisto pieces a few years ago - no big deal - just retreads.
I'd sure like to see that C-130 and the CL-415!
Michael
Attachments
Tonka Tailwinds 1999
MichaelB

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Modern