Jet Set duo blister pack

For planes made after 1980 {The end of Dinky Toys} and those currently being made.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Jet Set duo blister pack

Postby Tone » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:42 am

I found a link to an on-line photo of a Jet Set made in Hong Kong, 1:560 scale.
"Today's and Tomorrow's High-Flying International Jets" reads the card, which illustrates what appears to be the JFK Saarinen TWA terminal.

I do not recognize the toy VC-10 and DC-9; they do not look like Schabak (which are 1:600 and made in Germany) but they are more likely Dyna-Flites. The photo does not show much detail of the toys.

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-1938 ... 9-jet.html
Tone

Re: Jet Set duo blister pack

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:49 pm

Look at that! Nice pairing! Dyna did make both a VC-10 and DC-9 in their regular line. That said...they produced two different VC-10 casts; this is the later one. Additionally the DC-9 replaced an earlier casting (not a DC-9) somewhere in the '80s, so...this isn't as old as you might think. Yes...probably a rip from the line to make a "generic". I can't make out the airline name if there is one.
The VC-10 doesn't appear to have the same degree of upper wing "detail" that the Dyna one has; there is some doubt.
Both Ja-Ru and Mandarin made excretable quality VC-10s. Lintoy made a nice one, but seemingly bigger than this. Could it be Lintoy? The Lintoy molds - from Hong Kong - appeared under a great many generic names, including ERTL. They also made a DC-9, although this doesn't seem to be theirs. The Lintoy piece is significantly larger than the Dyna.
Is this Schabak? ...note that it says "Made In Hong Kong"...not even China - which didn't appear until the early '90s. So...dates from the '80s but not before or after.
Nice set...I wish I had one!
Attachments
Older issue on left, newer on right.
MichaelB

Postby Tone » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:Additionally the DC-9 replaced an earlier casting (not a DC-9) somewhere in the '80s, so...this isn't as old as you might think.

I remember purchasing my Hawaiian Air DC-9 Dyna-Flite new on card in a grocery store in 1980, so the toy model was in the line-up by that year. The DC-9 in the set is different from the Dyna-Flite.
Tone

Postby MichaelB » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Here are both of the two Zee Dyna-Flite VC-10 releases. The second issue is much, much better than the original and is actually a very nice little model of the VC-10.
Hmmm....that's the same picture I posted before...oh, well...enjoy it again!
I suppose it's a Super VC-10 verses the Regular VC-10.
Attachments
MichaelB

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Modern