Maisto Tailwinds, Gone?

For planes made after 1980 {The end of Dinky Toys} and those currently being made.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Re: Maisto Tailwinds, Gone?

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:58 pm

Ooooo....isn't that nice!
MichaelB

Postby kickoff877 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:51 pm

MichaelB wrote:What an awesome collection! Congratulations! Personally, I never made an effort to collect the "toy" painted version but I was glad to see the "Nazi" P-47, the natural metal F-18, the green w/honomarus Zero and several others.
It's especially difficult to see them gone from the general merchandise area as they were the last with anything like "real" toy model airplanes. The local WalMart seemed to always sell all they had, so...what's the problem?
The only thing I see in the stores today are the Disney Planes and Matchbox. The current Matchbox planes are all fictional and/or toy painted. I don't need them.
Do you have any of the original Mighty Motors Sky Masters from KMart? The old 747 and A300 were only in that line; both in AA colors.
Great work!
Michael

I found the one from AA in EBay the other day, I'll probably get it soon enough. For some reason the ones on EBay stay there for ever. The black Rafale for example, it has been there for years, but the seller won't come down from the 59.99 she wants for it. I got the green Zero with the Horomaru from her for about 25, she had it for 40, but I ended up buying a few for something like 12-15 a piece.

I haven't seen the K-Mart ones you mention, I've looked in all kinds of websites for them, but apart from the ones I mentioned, I don't know of anymore.
kickoff877

Postby kickoff877 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Aeronaut wrote:Muy Buena tu collection Kiko! Excellent collection Kiko! There are a few more out there such as a Swiss Air Force F-18 that I got from Switzerland many years ago. My latest acquisition is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321954824278?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT :D :D :D

Must search far and wide for Swiss F/A-18..... I've been an E/F/A-18A/C/D/E/G mechanic for 15 years... Little bit of EA-6B and tiny bit of MH60R/S helicopters... Gracias y que bueno que encontraste los de Red Bull
kickoff877

Postby Aeronaut » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:39 pm

That Swiss Air Force F-18 is going to be a tough one :cry: My youngest daughter got it for me when she was an exchange student in Switzerland about 15 years ago.
Aeronaut

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Great discussion, y'all! That will encourage me to go out and break down my boxes of these planes. I remember when the black Rafaele was annoyingly common...I don't know how many I picked up.
Here's the green issue.
Attachments
Maisto Rafale Green
MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:28 pm

Here's a list of the Maisto airliners. These are both the early MM issues and then, later their own issues. I could find them in either box or plastic bubble. These are all from the late '90s. Maisto also issued an Airport Play Set in TRU with the 747.

B747-300
JAL
Air Canada
UAL (oc)
AA Mega Master only
Cathay Pacific shown but never issued - at least I never found one

B747-400
British Airways
Swissair
Lufthansa
Alitalia
Air France

A300
Air France
AA
Cathay Pacific
MichaelB

Postby kickoff877 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Do it man! I'll be able to see what I'm missing!
kickoff877

Postby kickoff877 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:39 pm

So I'm sure you've been in the position when you want to buy one plane, but a seller won't break a lot, so you end up buying 10 so you can get one or two. I tried to sell those extras, but we seem to be a small crowd. They didn't sell, so I gave them to my kid and we ended up doing this:
Attachments
kickoff877

Postby MichaelB » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:01 am

While I adore toy airplanes, I don't forget that the "modern" ones are "just toys". I make lots of small boys very happy...
As for the tubs of Maisto...there must be six of them out there...I'll report back later.
Michael
MichaelB

Maisto Tailwinds, Zivko Edge 540

Postby Tone » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:09 am

That Zivko Edge 540 looks similar to, but not same as, the Maisto Stunt Plane that came out a few years ago, and also similar to one of the Matchbox Sky-Busters # SB-80A though the last mentioned is fitted with a four-blade propeller.

Whether generic or realistic, these things must share a certain shape in order to perform well, if they were real stunt planes.

Maisto Stunt Plane

Matchbox Sky-busters SB-80A
Tone

PreviousNext

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Modern