Corgi?

For planes made after 1980 {The end of Dinky Toys} and those currently being made.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Corgi?

Postby Striker1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:33 am

I see there is talk of a Corgi Catalogue due in March, one can only hope for some Showcase goodies this time round?
Striker1

Re: Corgi?

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:59 pm

Glad to hear that I might not be the only one who collects Showcase. These guys are too cute to pass up. Let us know if and when the catalog comes out, or there is an announcement!
Thanks
Michael
MichaelB

Postby Striker1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:53 am

The reason I chose to collect the Showcase(Fit The Box) Range is that I am unable to afford the 1/72 Archive Range, also I have restricted space in my house and would have to knock down a wall or two to fit them in so for me it makes sense to opt for Showcase/ Matchbox Skybusters/ Maisto Tailwinds etc.
Striker1

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:53 pm

Right on man! I am with you all the way!
Little airplanes are my thing! Even 1/200 can eat up the room.
Also, it's hard to resist a very little airplane so finely done! These are little gems.
GR often mentioned that they looked like a butterfly collection! ...and I can't think of a better analogy!
Michael
MichaelB

Postby Striker1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:37 am

Saw in the new collection announced yesterday that in the Showcase range it's VC-10 XR808 with the special tail scheme which is pretty smart as well as a P-51 Mustang with nose art - Detroit Miss. Both are definately in consideration this end.
Striker1

Postby wamantqs » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Guys, I'm new to this post and to collecting Corgi. If anyone's in the mood for educating the ignorant, I would be most appreciating. I'm still trying to find my footing with the whole Corgi deal. Is it me, or is it very difficult to find out any kind of information on the airplanes in general for Corgi; i.e., some kind of commentary direction of the different scales, model catagories; i.e., Aviation Archives (AA), Legends, etc., commentary of quality differentials between the catagores; i.e., is there any quality difference between AA and Legends in teh 1:72 scale? I don't know, just general "find out what's the deal" kind of information about Corgi models. Also, some kind of reference of all the models that have been produced since day one, so you can see what ones you want to "hunt down" and/or collect. Does any of this ring of sense? I've found that information about Corgi airplanes to be essentially, non-existent. I'm collecting just the militaria airplanes as I would like to refrain from taking a second mortgage out on my house; not to say there's any equity left to take out. Gosh, any help in directing me someplace or to a place to actually buy reference materials (I've already searched Amazon, etc. and came up with nothing). Also, I've settled on Corgi only because I found them first and they seem to be of fairly good quality for the price. I get the scaling problem and space; I've collected Franklin & Danbury Mint cars for 20 years so I've actually got a room devoted to this crap. Wife doesn't like it but she'll live as long as I'm in a good mood and she knows that this stuff keeps me in one. Look forward to making your acquaintences.

Regards, Mike
wamantqs

Postby MichaelB » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm sorry about the link not working - I don't know anything about it.
Corgi came back into the market in 1991 with the AA which , oddly, focused on 1/144 airliners. I think their fortunes went up and down and they found themselves in trouble in the mid '00s. I can't remember how many times I filled out the form that was included with their models and after sending it in, waiting for more information. That worked for awhile but eventually they went quiet. I was surprised because they should have built a sold gold set of contacts just waiting for the next release!
But..no...they seemingly sold out. Now they produce nice military items along with the low cost Showcase pieces. Are the Showcase items still in mass market retail? ...I'm not sure.
If you find another resource, be sure and share the link with us!
Michael
MichaelB

Corgi

Postby Tone » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:27 am

Here is the absolutely beautiful Corgi Boeing 314 released in 2002. It has a 5" wingspan.

I couldn't believe it when I saw these two-packs in Wal-Mart for a ridiculously low price. "Too cute to pass up" indeed, and great subject matter.

more:

Tone

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:00 am

They are part of the Corgi "Showcase" line. In this case, that means they are NOT of a constant scale. And yes - they are lovely. I don't mind the off scale part - it makes them more of a "toy". This line was extensively released in the UK and elsewhere, but in the US was limited to WalMart, which only sold a few different pieces.
In particular the DC-3 appeared in quite a number of different UK based liveries. I think the only US issues were in AA and WWII C-47 colors.
This line is unappreciated in a world that is fixated on all the new 1/400, 1/200, 1/72 and similar pieces. I was surprised to see these in WalMart in the mid ''00s and would be doubly surprised to see them there today!
MichaelB

Postby Striker1 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:20 am

I now have a new reason for collecting the Corgi Showcase, Matchbox Skybusters, Maisto Tailwinds only in that I am in the process of selling my house and moving into a flat, so that means I even less space than I had before.

Hoping to see more small scale Aircraft in these scales in the future.
Striker1

Next

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Modern