Tiny die cast toy planes from the 50s or early 60s

For toys made before 1980. Up to and including Aero Minis and the last of the Dinky Toy aircraft.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Tiny die cast toy planes from the 50s or early 60s

Postby Tone » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:56 pm

AHI-Azrak Hamway International, Line Mar Toys "Elegant Miniatures" were two names of American firms that imported tiny die cast toys from Japan in the 50s. They must've still been available in the 70s because I remember a box of four antique cars and a train set that I still have. They were more on the "cute" side then the scale model side and they were made of the toxic alloy called "antimony" in medieval times. Here are the planes that I have.

Tone

Re: Tiny die cast toy planes from the 50s or early 60s

Postby hovermd » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:08 am

I actually think toys of this design are pretty cool, too! There are 5 other styles of helicopter in the Linemar Elegant Miniature line in addition to the one pictured above.

The Elegant Miniature toys came in a variety of packaging. Sometimes they came in individual boxes and were sold together on display cards. Sometimes they were sold in a large box with either 20 or 30 different models wired to a cardboard insert.

And, this style of toy was copied and produced by other companies as well. I've seen identical models sold by a company with a "W" logo. These were marketed in "Best of Bag Toys" and "Finest Miniatures" lines.

In addition to helicopters, airplanes and jets, there were cars, trucks, construction vehicles, military vehicles, space ships, and trains.
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Stump the hovermd!

Postby grwebster » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:30 am

OK, Mark, I have a toy H-19 helicopter in my collection that is all die cast, including the rotors.
Can you name it?

1st hint- not american or japanese.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Re: Stump the hovermd!

Postby hovermd » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:16 pm

grwebster wrote:OK, Mark, I have a toy H-19 helicopter in my collection that is all die cast, including the rotors.
Can you name it?

I'm wracking my brain!!

When I think of all-metal diecast H-19 toys, I ususually think of the Solido and Mercury toys... They both have metal rotors, but I guess you'd have to refer to the rotors as stamped tin.

Am I on track, or do you mean the rotors are actually made of that same "slush metal" material?
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby Aeronaut » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:34 pm

grwebster wrote:OK, Mark, I have a toy H-19 helicopter in my collection that is all die cast, including the rotors.
Can you name it?

Danish Mollberg. Picture 139 on Sue Richardson's book?
Aeronaut

Postby hovermd » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Aeronaut wrote:
Can you name it?

Danish Mollberg. Picture 139 on Sue Richardson's book?

OH - RIGHT!!! I've always wanted one of those, but have never found one. It sure didn't take you long to stump me!
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby grwebster » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:48 pm

He is right, Molberg!
I must be 1950s early 60s, olive drab, will attach photo when i return to USA. Nice piece, I got mine in London in the mid 1980s, little money. Never seen another.
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby Aeronaut » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:57 am

grwebster wrote:He is right, Molberg!
I must be 1950s early 60s, olive drab, will attach photo when i return to USA. Nice piece, I got mine in London in the mid 1980s, little money. Never seen another.

The one on Sue Richardson's book is white with Red Cross markings, and has floats. I have an olive drab one in my collection. According to Sue there is a gray version too. It came with wheels or floats.
Aeronaut

Postby grwebster » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:12 am

could you post a photo, lease
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:36 pm

These caught my attention. I do have a group of very, soft metal airplanes, like are shown above. They are of Japanese origin, and except for the levity one gets from admiring them, they aren't much to crow about. I also think I have a card, or blister with some but I'm still looking for that picture.
Here are the group, and looking at them I see that it does not include a companion "Constellation".
Attachments
MichaelB

Next

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Vintage