new purchase

For toys made before 1980. Up to and including Aero Minis and the last of the Dinky Toy aircraft.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

new purchase

Postby pelt63 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:46 am

A while ago purchased two "die cast Airplanes " A Cessna 310B made by ALPS Japan and a Jet plane HK-555. Both with friction drive . They are in a good shape . On this forum I couldn't find any information about these planes. Does anybody knows more about them. Manufacturing year ,production numbers and are they wanted collectibles . As I mentioned the shape is good and the friction-drive is working properly.
Attachments
pelt63

new purchase

Postby Tone » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:27 pm

The first plane is from Hammerer & Kuehlwein, Western Germany in the late 1950s. The second plane, the Alps brand Cessna 310, dates from about the same time period, maybe earlier. Both of these toys are made from lithographed tinplate, not die cast metal. Tinplate toys are made by bending sheet metal with printed finish into shape using a metal press machine. Die cast airplanes are solid, and are made by injecting molten metal (zinc alloy called "zamak" or "mazak") into a mold, letting it cool, and painting the toy.

"fliegerii" has found the jet plane in a 1959 catalogue:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=232&p=500&hilit=hammer#p500

Here is a photo of a different Alps brand Cessna 310 I have in my collection:

I would say that the example you have is a less common variant than the one I have.
Tone

Re: new purchase

Postby pelt63 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks "Tone" ,your information is very helpfull. And a lesson learned. Die Cast v.s. tin plate litho. A one I will not forget.
In my tin toy collection I got one very nice HK 542 B-S witch is also in the catalogue "fliegerii" found. So the HK information is dubble appreciated.
I'm not collecting one kind of toys. Just like one ore two good objects. Got some nice old japanees robots a paya motorcycle 1930's a schuco motrcycle motodrill 1006 and some other great stuff .So not realy a collector.
If anyone likes the HK jetplane ore the Alps Cessna for there collection, let me know,
pelt63

Re: new purchase

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:42 pm

This posting needs to move to the "Tin Airplanes" category, as Tone noted above.
That's a great C310!
MichaelB

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Vintage