Tekno KZ.4 aircraft

For toys made before 1980. Up to and including Aero Minis and the last of the Dinky Toy aircraft.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Re: Tekno KZ.4 aircraft

Postby grwebster » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:36 am

I haven't seen that color but it looks original, and those transfer decals are the standard ones. The props appear original too.
My only question is whether the elevator and ailerons which are finished in a different color, are original or not. That will also be hard to prove or disprove as Tekno did hand paint some of their aircraft such as the camouflage versions of the military aircraft.
I love the look of it in any case and the casting is a very hard to find. You did very well.
Did anyone ever confirm when this toy was first made?
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby grwebster » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:43 am

I just reread Tekno's comments and I think he was saying that it was done after the first three military planes and the owners jail time, so 1944?
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby tekno » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:49 am

1944 was my best guess based on different sources. No idea how long it lasted - could have been for many years. Their jets were in the 1950-60's catalogs, with 3 of them still pictured in 1968!
tekno

Postby fliegerii » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:56 pm

grwebster wrote:My only question is whether the elevator and ailerons which are finished in a different color, are original or not.

The paint is same as the paint used for the props, so it is likely also original. The blue paint is little worse than it looks on the photo. The is a big chip right side behind the cockpit and there are some paint bubbles. The paint used by Tekno is sensitive to humidity. You should never use too much water to clean the models. Paint will fade!
fliegerii

Postby alas » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:30 pm

That's prewar, guys. I have never seen one complete with stretcher, pilots, and box. I have had several unboxed ones, both with some restoration.
Attachments
alas

Postby 737 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:54 am

The KZ.4 was operated by the predecessor to today's FALCK in Denmark, along with the Dragon Rapide. FALCK is something like a combination of automobile club (like AAA) and medivac service. Today's fleet includes helicopters, ambulances, and roadside assistance vehicles. Denmark is rather small, but is composed of many islands, so getting someone quickly to a hospital in Copenhagen would be problematic without this service. Therefore, the crosses on the wings of the Tekno KZ.4 indicate ambulatory service, and are not a Danish national symbol, despite it's similarity to the flag. The Danish government mostly funds the service, so the Danish flag is on the tail. Since, however, it is a civilian function, the military roundel, (red circle with white circle inside) is absent.

Incidentally, the Danish Air Force (Flyvevåpen) did operate one B-17, mostly used in Greenland. That B-17 was one of the SAAB modified versions and was one that had been used by DDL Danish Airlines (now part of SAS), as GR had mentioned. The Danish Air Force B-17 was eventually "unmodified", restored back to USAAF standard and now resides in the US Air Force museum in Dayton, Ohio. Still, the B-17, as well as Dauntless and Blenheim are rather curious selections by Tekno.

Postby Flyingtiger10 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:26 am

A bit late to reply, but SBD as shown in the Tekno models should have been SDB, as in
Scout Dive Bomber, for the Douglas Dauntless. Unless it is the Danish acronym for the same?
Flyingtiger10

Re: Tekno KZ.4 aircraft ambulance

Postby alas » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:05 pm

here is one for sale - bids > € 400 are welcome :
http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/antiek-en-k ... ousPage=lr
By the way - the comment above plus picture is not mine! some glitch there.
alas

Postby sunjet10954 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:09 pm

I bought the box GR has on his photo when I visited GR in his place in Florida. As you can see on my photo I have only 5 compared with the original 6 in GR box. At that time GR wanted to keep the white one. Does anybody know where it has gone. I would love to have the box completed.
sunjet10954

Postby sunjet10954 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:12 pm

I would also like to show the two other Tekno models I have which are in fairly good condition.
Attachments
sunjet10954

Previous

Return to Die Cast Airplanes - Vintage