Autogiros

for all types of helicopter toys and models. Arne Lasance {alas} from the Netherlands is the Moderator

Moderator: alas

Re: Autogiros

Postby hovermd » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:14 am

That's how they did it in E.T.!
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Re: Autogiros by hachette Japan

Postby alas » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:07 pm

I finally was able to buy the Kayaba autogiro by Hachette Japan (MIB). Beautifully detailed!
In case you wondered about the missing picture from Epap...
alas

Postby hovermd » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:25 am

Very nice!
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:39 pm

hovermd wrote:My latest autogiro purchase:

A "Helm-O-Copter Auto-Gyro" made by New Ideas Specialty CO. Inc. out of Detroit, Michigan.

New Ideas Specialty CO. Inc. Helm-O-Copter Auto-Gyro.jpg

This is a great bicycle accessory, my second airplane-related bike accessory as a matter of fact (see viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1367&p=6820&hilit=bicycle#p6820)

I'd guess 1940s...

Any other ideas?

I found that the Helm-O-Copter Auto-Gyro box is stamped "9-48" on the inside. I'm guessing Sept 1948.
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Besides the much more rare No. 720 Fly-N-Gyro mentioned and pictured earlier in this post, Tootsietoy also produced the No. 4659 Autogiro.

As near as I can tell, it was released from 1938-41 as part of box sets.

I've identified at least six different airplane sets that featured the No. 4659 autogiro (apparently the autogiro was referred to as No. 4650 in one catalog).

What's difficult (and a little frustrating) is that Tootsietoy seems to have identified all of these distinctly different sets as "No. 6150" on the boxes

I know of four different "No. 6150 Speedy Aeroplanes" sets. One with 5 airplanes included, one with 8 airplanes included, and two different ones, each with 11 airplanes included. They all seem to share the same graphics on the box lid.

Here's the 5 airplane No. 6150 Speedy Aeroplanes set:

5 airplane No. 6150 Speedy Aeroplanes set

Plus, there is a set with a primarily blue box called the "No. 6150 Aeroplanes" set that features 6 airplanes, including the autogiro.

And finally, there is a set with a primarily green box that is also called the "No. 6150 Aeroplanes" set. This set has 5 airplanes and was actually just one part of a 3-set "Tootstietoy Gift Box" ensemble. The three sets were inside an open-faced cardboard sleeve/box. The Gift Box also included a "Playtime Set" and a "Fire Department" set that went along with this green-boxed "Aeroplanes" set. A source once told me this gift box ensemble was released in 1938, but I've never confirmed that assertion.

Here's the Aeroplanes" set of that Gift Box release:

Gift Box release No. 6150 Aeroplanes set

The No. 4659 Autogiro came in cream with a blue rotor, silver with a red rotor, and green with a yellow rotor.
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:08 am

I recently made the acquaintance of a very knowledgeable collector, Mr. Robert Newson.

I was researching the Tootsietoy #4659 Autogyro a bit further and came across one of Robert's webpages. Robert had referenced some European copies of the Tootsietoy autogyro, so I reached out to both contribute some information, as well as learn a bit more.

Most significantly, I learned from Robert that one of those two European copies, a very similar toy identified by Sue Richardson as being made by Dyson of England, was quite likely actually manufactured by Johillco (the John Hill & Company) of England.

This was a big revelation to me as I was not at all familiar with Johillco aircraft toys.

For collectors of autogyro toys, this Johillco is going to be a tough one to find! Robert acquired the very same toy pictured in Richardson's book. Here is Robert Newson's photograph of what is in all likelihood the finest example of the Johillco autogyro in existence:

Johillco Copy of Tootsietoy #4659 Autogyro

The toy is slightly larger than the Tootsietoy original. It has larger rubber tires and a lead propeller. Also, the fuselage trim lines are proud (or raised), versus the Toostietoy version that has recessed trim lines. Finally, the toy is not marked with anything (no manufacturer name, no "Made in England" pronouncement, or anything else).

She's a real beauty!

Robert updated his webpage after our great discussion. Check out the link below:

http://www.tootsietoys.info/Tootsietoys-Aircraft.html
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:27 pm

After more research, I think some corrections/clarifications need to be made... The Tootsietoy Autogyro was produced as early as 1934 and is actually referred to by different catalog numbers in various period publications.

In a 1934 catalog, the autogyro is referred to as "No. 4N141" and was apparently sold "loose" and not in a boxed set.

In a 1938 Christmas Catalog by K.A. Sprague, the toy is referred to as "No. TN41"

In a 1938 leaflet from the United Kingdom, the autogyro is clearly referred to as "No. 4650" while the Fly-N-Gyro is designated "No. 720" as expected.

I am not sure where Sue Richardson got the "4659" designation she used in her book, "Diecast Toy Aircraft."
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby alas » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:12 am

A collection of smaller autogiro's - for scale!

Birdwatchers will have no problem deciding which is which...
alas

Postby hovermd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:42 pm

I have discovered that the Tootsietoy #4650 Autogyro copies attributed to Johillco (see post above) came in at least three colors: green (shown), blue, and red.

Johillco is much more know for producing hollow-cast lead soldiers, civilian figures and road vehicles.

I am trying to find a Johillco collector who has company catalogs or sales sheets to learn more about the aircraft toys they produced. I know they produced a biplane, seaplane and Ford Tri-motor - all copies of existing Tootsietoy aircraft.

If any MACers have catalogs or knowledge of toy soldier collectors who might be able to help, your input would be greatly appreciated.
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:14 pm

Here's a new addition to the Autogiro Post:

This beauty was made in Japan by an unknown manufacturer. The toy prominently features "R 39" on the litho. Perhaps this indicates the toy was modeled after the Pitcairn PA-39 autogiro, which first flew in 1940? The original box is marked "New Helicopter" with "Made in Japan" in small print along an edge. The box certainly looks pre-WWII. The toy itself is 3.5 inches long and 2.5 inches tall. The design very closely resembles the Marke Technofix / Einfalt No. 231 Autogyro-Aeroplane that was made earlier in Germany.

Made in Japan - Unknown Manufacturer - R 39 autogiro
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

PreviousNext

Return to Helicopter Toys