Some More Helicopters

for all types of helicopter toys and models. Arne Lasance {alas} from the Netherlands is the Moderator

Moderator: alas

Re: Some More Helicopters

Postby hovermd » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:29 pm

This Sikorsky S-61 is definitely made by a company with SY in a triangle. I'm honestly not certain if it's "S.Y." or "SY" with no periods. I've never seen an original box for the toy, and don't have access to my example to check.

That circular rotor on the Sikorsky S-61 above is not original toy. I've only seen that particular circular rotor on a smaller Sky Patrol helicopter that is not marked with a manufacturer's name. The Sky Patrol came in a plain cardboard trade box, and that too is lacking a manufacturer's name. In any case, I don't think they're related.
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby alas » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:39 pm

it's S.Y !
alas

Postby hovermd » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Ha! S.Y in triangle with a single period. I wonder if that means there are three very similar makers marks out there?
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:22 pm

hovermd wrote:
grwebster wrote:That Solido box was a trade distribution one. Back 25 years ago in France at least no one valued them and they were given to you if you asked, otherwise they were thrown away.
I have never seen an individual box for the H-19 and must assume they were only sold in trade boxes. BTW There was on French ebay last year a Solido H-19 in army olive drab with wheels that the seller claimed was original. It was not original, but still sold for big money. You could see the additions/modifications in the photos.
Here is a better photo of the H-19s

Here is the other Solido helicopter, the H-21. Note casting marked Piaseki and it had three windows and a door.

it came in olive green also, same casting as above. I don't think there was a white red cross variant, at least I never heard of one.

The H-21, however did come in its own box. Count the windows. there are now five, and the casting now says Vertol. Hard to find, all versions, even the first ones.
I have heard rumors that there were variants of both the H-19 and H-21 in Air Force blue, but have never seen one.

Here is the only Mercury {Italy} Helicopter and its trade box.

Both Solido and Mercury made VTOL diecasts, but this falls outside your forum, I suspect.
Some where I have a whole display board with the very nice die cast Pilen [Spain} helicopters, I'll get a photo up when I get back to the USA

Of course Solido in the 1980s started making helicopters again, but my collecting focus stops at mid 1970s so I didn't track them all down at the time. I recall this one was supposedly the rarest of the bunch, a gunship in camouflage, but I have no idea if it so or not.

Could this be the reported blue Solido S 55 ?

I personally think it looks like a repaint... am I wrong?

Here's a new twist: the "Solido Vertol H.21" helicopters, modeled after the Piasecki H-21 Workhorse, weren't only released in plain individual boxes. I was able to acquire a beautiful box set which features three of the more rare 3-window H-21s. One is silver with black rotors, one is silver with silver rotors, and one is green with green rotors. All three have the French roundels. Unlike the H-19 distributor box, the H-21 box is fully illustrated, and I think it's a pretty rare item in of itself. Here are a few photos:

Solido Vertol H.21 box set (1)

Solido Vertol H.21 box set (2)

Perhaps this is the only way the 3-window variants were released?
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Previous

Return to Helicopter Toys