Molberg Sikorsky S-55 diecast helicopter

for all types of helicopter toys and models. Arne Lasance {alas} from the Netherlands is the Moderator

Moderator: alas

Postby hovermd » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:15 am

Some time ago, GR Webster challenged me to identify an early diecast S-55 helicopter toy that features both a metal fuselage and metal rotors. It turned out to be a hard-to-find toy made by a firm named Molberg in Denmark.

The MAC contributor ALAS reported that the toy was produced in 1955 and provided a photo at this link:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=895&p=5635&hilit=molberg#p5635
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Re: Molberg Sikorsky S-55 diecast helicopter

Postby hovermd » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:20 am

Some time later, I was able to find a wheeled variant:

Molberg with Wheels
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:28 am

I had some great luck in December when I found a pair of mint exampes, complete with original boxes shaped like aircraft hangars.

Here's the Red Cross version in white:

Molberg Red Cross Helicopter

Here's an unusual "Sperry Croscope Company Sport Sky S-55" version in gray:

Molberg Sperry Croscope Company Sport Sky S-55

I haven't been able to find any info on the "Sperry Croscope Company" yet...
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby Tone » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:45 pm

I think Sue Richardson spelled that name "Mollberg" with two Ls in her book on diecast aircraft, is one L or two Ls correct?
Tone

Postby hovermd » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:52 am

I'm not certain. The toys aren't marked with the manufacturer's name, nor are the boxes. I've found a couple blogs referencing the firm "Molberg" as having produced diecast cars and toy parts (like wheels) in the 1960s. "Lion" and "Lion Molberg" were also referenced. GR used one "L" when he described the helicopters, so I've followed suit.
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:22 pm

Mark,

I may be able to shed some light on the "Sperry Croscope Company". I have a very strong suspicion that it was purely an international accident in translation. I believe what they meant Sperry GRYOSCOPE Company. Just screwed up the "G" for a "C" and the "y" may not have much meaning in Scandinavia so it was omitted.

My father, a retired US Government physicist, ran the US Navy lab that produced and perfected their air and sea navigation systems through 1994. I remember seeing the various company literature pieces from Sperry Gyroscope, Singer Kearfott, Honeywell, Ryan, Hughes, et al in his office at home. I distinctly remember one of the Sperry Gyroscope brochure covers from the 1950's showing a S-55 in photo aimed up at the belly coming in to land. The angle of the picture screwed up the Sperry Gyroscope spelling into something like Sperry Crosope. Sorry to say my mom pitched out many of those great pieces when they downsized in 2005.

Regards, Tom
sandmanoverhaul

Postby hovermd » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:01 pm

sandmanoverhaul wrote:Mark,

I may be able to shed some light on the "Sperry Croscope Company". I have a very strong suspicion that it was purely an international accident in translation. I believe what they meant Sperry GRYOSCOPE Company. Just screwed up the "G" for a "C" and the "y" may not have much meaning in Scandinavia so it was omitted.

My father, a retired US Government physicist, ran the US Navy lab that produced and perfected their air and sea navigation systems through 1994. I remember seeing the various company literature pieces from Sperry Gyroscope, Singer Kearfott, Honeywell, Ryan, Hughes, et al in his office at home. I distinctly remember one of the Sperry Gyroscope brochure covers from the 1950's showing a S-55 in photo aimed up at the belly coming in to land. The angle of the picture screwed up the Sperry Gyroscope spelling into something like Sperry Crosope. Sorry to say my mom pitched out many of those great pieces when they downsized in 2005.

Regards, Tom

Thanks, Tom! I have no doubt that you are correct and have solved the mystery for me. During my internet search, the word "microscope" came up frequently, which hinted at the "Croscope" misspelling. And now that you mention it, I also saw references of Sperry as a producer of avionics. Interestingly, I don't recall seeing references to "Sperry Gyroscope," but that's clearly the best fit. Thank you again!

I suspect this gray Sperry Gyroscope livery is a bit more rare in the Molberg line.

Mark
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Mark,

The S-55 and the S-58 helicopters always get my attention and are favorites. The S-58 (H-34) Navy, Marine and Army versions were constantly airborne around the Warminster/Horsham areas of Pennsylvania where I grew up in. Later on when I was an adult, I lived in Bedminster about two miles away from Carson Helicopter. Again, more S-55's but ones converted to the T or Turbo version. I got friendly with the staff and they even allowed our freeflight club to fly indoor competitions in their hangars. Just another mile down the road was the Philadelphia Glider Council, a glider based aero club. Good times there as well.

Tom
sandmanoverhaul

Postby hovermd » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:19 am

sandmanoverhaul wrote:Mark,

The S-55 and the S-58 helicopters always get my attention and are favorites. The S-58 (H-34) Navy, Marine and Army versions were constantly airborne around the Warminster/Horsham areas of Pennsylvania where I grew up in. Later on when I was an adult, I lived in Bedminster about two miles away from Carson Helicopter. Again, more S-55's but ones converted to the T or Turbo version. I got friendly with the staff and they even allowed our freeflight club to fly indoor competitions in their hangars. Just another mile down the road was the Philadelphia Glider Council, a glider based aero club. Good times there as well.

Tom

What cool memories! There's still at least one way to see those pioneering aircraft fly that I know of... Check out my personal favorite aviation museum:

http://www.rotors.org/
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Return to Helicopter Toys