Remco Piasecki H-21 Whirlybird - 1960

for all types of helicopter toys and models. Arne Lasance {alas} from the Netherlands is the Moderator

Moderator: alas

Remco Piasecki H-21 Whirlybird - 1960

Postby craviola990 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi Guys-

Just uploaded the vintage commercial for Remco's Flying Banana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5vX8ui ... BD2E3853CC

And here's a complete list of all my toy/model video uploads:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?action ... BD2E3853CC

Best, Christian
craviola990

Re: Remco Piasecki H-21 Whirlybird - 1960

Postby hovermd » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:41 pm

I love these classic clips!
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:20 pm

I think it's time to tune this post up a bit...

Remco Whirlybird helicopter toys have been popular for a very long time, and with good reason - they are really impressive toys!

This lifelike recreation of the Piasecki H-21 Workhorse helicopter comes in at a whopping 25 inches long, and that's not even counting the rotor arcs. It stands at nearly 9 inches tall. Additionally, the toy was sold with an array of cool accessories, which make a kid's playtime choices almost limitless.

As near as I can tell, the toy was originally released in 1960. I know of four distinct versions. The original, and most common version, is the white Whirlybird Rescue Corps toy. It's clear this first version enjoyed a number of years of popularity. Catalogs and ads featuring the Rescue Corps version are common through the mid-1960s.

Then, based on the updated catalogs and advertisements I've found, Remco released a transitional orange version from 1965-66. This orange version is not very attractive because of the garish colors used. But, it did feature a colorful new box and all the "standard" accessories from the original release. My best guess is that America's increasing involvement in the Vietnam War sparked the change.

In 1966, a new third green Monkey Division version hit the shelves. The box reflected Remco's large "Monkey Division" line of toys, as did the "Monkey Division" emblem on the side of the helicopter. I think most would agree that the realistic green color of the toy improved the overall look.

Evidence indicates the most rare version is a green Monkey Division variant. The one distinctive change is that the emblem on the side of the helicopter reads "1st Airborne Cavalry" and features an eagle and lightning bolt design. While the emblem's concept definitely harkens to the Vietnam War, I can't find any direct correlation to the famous 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) horse patch. This is a really rare toy to find.

And now for some photos...
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:22 pm

Here's the first issue Remco Whirlybird Rescue Corps. The 25 man attack force and other accessories came packaged in a plastic bag with attractive cardboard header.

Remco Whirlybird Rescue Corps helicopter
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:25 pm

Here's the second orange Whirlybird variant:

Remco orange Whilybird helicopter.jpg
Orange Whirlybird variant
Remco orange Whilybird helicopter.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 6106 times
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Here's the classic Monkey Division Whirlybird variant:

Monkey Division Whirlybird helicopter
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:29 pm

And finally, the very rare 1st Airborne Cavalry Whirlybird version:

1st Airborne Cavalry (1)

1st Airborne Cavalry (2)
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby hovermd » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:22 pm

I found a 1963 Spiegel Christmas catalog that features the "Remco Whirlybird." The color ad shows a green fuselage with white rear stabilizer fins and white rotors. That's a bit puzzling, and I'm wondering if the catalog creators used a bit of artistic license when depicting the toy? Perhaps plans were already on the table to release a green version, or maybe a hybrid did come out for a few years? I know Remco was releasing other toy in it's Monkey Division line as early as 1963, and perhaps earlier. It's hard to know for sure at this point of my research...
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:12 am

Mark,
I used to have a show car and always snickered when someone would come up and brag about the one they once had. Now I am about to recount that I had one of the first white versions of the Whirlybird and was completely enthralled with the helicopter and the ball-chain lift mechanism. Way too many hours of toy rescues all over the house. It succumbed to a thrashing when my older sister caught me attempting to lift her Barbie out of her cardboard house. My claiming the house was on fire went on deaf ears. My sister grabbed the Whirlybird and then tossed it down the steps shearing off one blade. I don't think I ever forgave her for that action even though my dad artfully repaired the rotor with some new adhesive called epoxy.

Years later while in college, my mom unloaded the Whirlybird in the new American Tradition called the the garage sale. I think that is where my O-gauge trains went as well, another topic for elsewhere.

Great Thread Mark!!

Tom Sanders
sandmanoverhaul

Postby hovermd » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Loved you post, Tom! I got a great laugh out of that one :lol:
Mark Driver
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Next

Return to Helicopter Toys