We're Moving!

A place to discuss anything of interest to collectors miniature airplanes

Moderators: grwebster, MichaelB, BWBrown, angelreader, ronc200

We're Moving!

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Rich McQuirr has elected to no longer host the MAC server. He and I are in the process of finding a new home.
That said, I hope the transition is invisible for most MACers, but you can never know.
As a recourse, those of you on FaceBook can find MAC there as well...just search for the full name. If this site goes down, we can always check in and stay up to date on FB.
Don't like FB...I understand completely - however...
You may also send email directly to me as usual.
I'm am not too familiar with this process and, naturally, most of what I hear is negative from friends who have had to endure this process? Will it cost...much? At least time I don't know.
The vast majority of viewers do just that - view the incredible selection of photos of our toys and leave. Like with many "volunteer" organizations, only about a dozen contribute materials and only a smaller handful actually subscribe.(See button at upper left).
So - here we are - is it time to "end" this MAC website?
As I've gotten older I continue to "unburden" myself of more and more...
Michael
MichaelB

Re: We're Moving!

Postby voodoo1200 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Can you tell us what is involved with hosting the web site?.....is it just a matter of money?......can someone takeover the Hosting and leave the site exactly as it is?

I belong to other die cast collector forums but they seem to be focused on bombarding every member with reminders that their stuff is for sale on ebay........who'd a thunk. This site needs to stay up as it is because, it fulfills a niche that the others don't. So please let us know what needs to be done to keep this site as is, Thank you.

Scott
Last edited by voodoo1200 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
voodoo1200

Postby hovermd » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:11 pm

I am solidly with voodoo1200 - I would REALLY hate to see this wonderful website fail! It represents not just a treasure trove of information, but also a lot of hard word and commitment, given freely by many over the years.

Would those most familiar with the site's organization take the time to provide a synopsis of where things stand? Perhaps sharing the details and identifying the shortfalls that could prevent the site's continuation will allow us to collectively find solutions?

For instance: is the site (I guess you would call it a domain) "owned" by any single individual? Are they still involved? Is the server a physical thing that was purchased and needs a caretaker, or can that element be farmed out to a different entity? What other services are required to keep the site running? Is there an estimate of much money is needed annually?

I am clearly not very knowledgeable in the technical matters, but I am willing to do what I can to help keep MAC up and running.

Mark
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby BWBrown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:23 pm

The button, at least on my screen, is in the upper right, not the left. Look around on your screen, and then consider throwing in a few bucks to keep this effort going. Every little bit helps!
BWBrown

Postby ramseyd » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 pm

I would vote to try to maintain this site and find/pay for the necessary administrator/maintainer. I have a small site that I have had for years that was never developed, and there is a good bit of work to maintaining one, let alone monies you need to keep it working. Michael, if you can give us an idea of how much each member should donate each year to cover expenses, I will try to meet that obligation, and suspect others would too. The last time I gave was in 2014, so I know that I am in arrears. Assume that there is just a core group that will donate and tell us how much each in the core group needs to provide, yearly. Any other donations would just help cover increasing costs. I think a January reminder every year is something we all could use!

There is so much information on this site that is not found anywhere else in the world, and although I do not use every week, I do rely on the past information to resolve issues/questions. I visit facebook about once a month, but if we can duplicate this site there, then that might be a reasonable alternative. I don't know how much space this site takes, but I also wonder if it could be copied somewhere just as an archive without the interactive aspect. (As a backup to facebook should they start limiting size, etc.) . This, at a minimum, would keep everything we have today. And thanks, Michael, for all the hard work you do! I really do appreciate your efforts and am sure I speak for many others who feel the same way.
ramseyd

Postby voodoo1200 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Don't know if it's possible but if you could add some kind of indicator to the front page of the site showing exactly how much is needed. I think many people are weary of just sending money without know how much it takes to meet the bills. If someone told you to "just keep sending the money, I will tell you when it's enough"....would YOU? Please tell us how much it takes to keep this site up and running each year. We know it's not free and want to help.....just don't want to be taken advantage of either.
voodoo1200

Postby G10N » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 am

I'm down to donate some cash. This site has a lot of great info that I've never found on any other plane forums.
how much are you looking for per member?
G10N

Postby voodoo1200 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Does anyone know the status of the move?
voodoo1200

Postby ramseyd » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:39 pm

I see we are back up again!
ramseyd

Postby msandro » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:59 pm

Glad to see we are back up.

I noticed that the Web address changed from miniatureaircraftcollectors.com to miniatureaircraftcollectors.net.

For the past month I have still been trying to go to miniatureaircraftcollectors.com, and could not reach the site. From reading the Facebook group today I learned what the new address is. I suspect others are still trying to reach the site at the old address. Is there anyway to redirect users from the old address to the new address?
msandro

Next

Return to General Discussion