Vega Starliner

Objects incorporating models of aircraft.

Moderators: grwebster, MichaelB, BWBrown, angelreader, ronc200

Vega Starliner

Postby solumis » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:44 pm

I got this bronze model from the US. It took me a while to find out how it is named....it is a VEGA Starliner oder Starliner2. Original this model was mounted on an ashtray.... but the model lived outside for ages and the metal ashtray was rusted away ( i still have the rusty rest). I mounted it "German-style" on a marble base i had found. It is a pre war Vega.... but is the model also pre-war? I saw models with that kind stand before with postwar (50's) private planes. Any idea who made it?
Andi
Attachments
solumis

Re: Vega Starliner

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:32 pm

Since Vega was in California and because the style used is a "trophy topper", I suspect it may have been created by either Dodge Trophy whom also made ashtray awards or Hollywood Trophy who was a competitor. If the model is cast from some form plated of "Zymac" or pot metal, Hollywood Trophy would be my first choice. Vega may a created a small production run to hand-out to investors or prospective clients. Just curious, from what area of the United States was it located when you purchased the model? If you saved the ashtray, compare it to other Dodge Ashtray (not vehicular!) found on eBay.

Tom
SANDMAN OVERHAUL
sandmanoverhaul

Re: Vega Starliner

Postby solumis » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks for the info Tom!
it came from 93727 Fresno.. and the ashtray looked like that. The material looks/feels like a kind of bronze.. very heavy not like the stuff on bronzard models
andi
Attachments
solumis

Return to Ashtray Models, Table Lighters and other Accessories