Allyn ashtray

Objects incorporating models of aircraft.

Moderators: grwebster, MichaelB, BWBrown, angelreader, ronc200

Allyn ashtray

Postby Socaled » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Hello everyone. I came across this ashtray a couple months ago and thanks to this forum I was able to gain information regarding manufacturer. I also learned how to keep the plane from falling off. Wanted to say this is a great forum with knowledgable members. I also learned learned about a Topping 100 u control I got still disassembled in the box. Since then I got the courage to put it together as much as I could.

Can I please get a sense of value for these items. Thanks all. Ed
Attachments
Socaled

Re: Allyn ashtray

Postby Socaled » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Topping
Attachments
Socaled

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:51 pm

Awesome! I didn't know that Topping made such a thing!
Thanks for posting and the kind words about our MAC site.
MichaelB

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:07 pm

Stock unit on right vs updated unit on left
Socaled wrote:Hello everyone. I came across this ashtray a couple months ago and thanks to this forum I was able to gain information regarding manufacturer. I also learned how to keep the plane from falling off. Wanted to say this is a great forum with knowledgable members. I also learned learned about a Topping 100 u control I got still disassembled in the box. Since then I got the courage to put it together as much as I could.

Can I please get a sense of value for these items. Thanks all. Ed

Ed,
Nice sample of the Allyn P-51. Here are the highlights- Overall chrome is in nice condition, decals have the positioning correct and also in nice condition. The cockpit insert and canopy are intact and the original black glass ashtray insert seems to be also intact and in good shape. I can't recall seeing the three rubber feet under the base or the paper manufacturer's tag. With the only obvious issue being the missing prop blade, I would estimate its worth to a collector between $200-$300. There is one prop assembly reproduced as Allyn designed it and offered by Classic Tin Toy
http://www.classictintoy.com/collection ... s/l2200502. There will be some major surgery to extricate the original prop assembly so I recommend a local machinists to help with this.

Another option would be to consider updating the prop assembly using modern techniques such as resin props that have better scale appearance and are easier to replace rather than the complete metal units. I have added two pictures that show a comparison of the same type model with a complete original prop assembly and one having an updated set of scale resin blades.

Regards,
Tom
sandmanoverhaul

Return to Ashtray Models, Table Lighters and other Accessories