A C Rehberger Mystery Clipper!

Objects incorporating models of aircraft.

Moderators: grwebster, MichaelB, BWBrown, angelreader, ronc200

A C Rehberger Mystery Clipper!

Postby soslipstream » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:19 pm

I am looking for any leads as to how this Rehberger Boeing B-314 Clipper may have been displayed. It has two tapped holes in the belly, 1/2" apart. I am curious if any collectors have the similar sized B-247 ashtray model and if they would confirm the bolt-on configuration. The wingspan is about 9".

Rumors from the Chicago Art Museum is that this is currently the only one identified in existence. Does anyone else have one out there?

Thanks, Tom
Attachments
soslipstream

Re: A C Rehberger Mystery Clipper!

Postby car15 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Not the only one in existence! I owned one some years ago identical to yours and missing it's original stand. I mounted it on a vintage metal globe stand and sold it on EBay. I have an image somewhere showing an original mounted on top of a clock that was sold by PAA. In my years of collecting I have seen about four of them.
car15

Postby soslipstream » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks for your reply! There is also one currently in California as well that is mounted on its original nickle-plated ashtray.

Great minds think alike, after doing much research, I am preparing for this one to also be mounted on a solid glass globe mounted to a bronze pipe ashtray ala' Juan Trippe. If you still have a picture of the clock, please post it!

Thanks, Tom
soslipstream

Postby car15 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:31 pm

Here are a couple of images that I have. Not the best and blurry.
Attachments
car15

Postby m94x » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi, not sure if this is the one but I am pretty sure this model is the same Rehberger as you are enquiring about-recently sold on ebay. too bad the stabilizers were broken but very nice otherwise....
Ed
Attachments
m94x

Postby m94x » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:19 am

Here's another 314 (this time complete) that might help you with your research. Let me know if you have any questions and I can put you in contact with the owner.
Attachments
m94x

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:20 am

Ed,

I was the high bidder on the bronze version that you show in your first post. It is now sitting in a bookcase waiting for its turn to get new fins.

Thanks, Tom
sandmanoverhaul

Postby m94x » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:00 pm

It's a beautiful model- too bad you don't see more of these amphibious airplane ashtrays. How do you plan to repair the tail fins?
m94x

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:20 pm

I will use the same process that I developed for the first one that I have. The airplanes were cast using a lead-based metal material so the toughest part is not too difficult, that is having the new parts stay attached to the old parts. I surgically implanted (my Dentist told I missed my calling) music wire frames into the stabilizer stubs. I then I mounted the airplane on its side in a fixture. The new-to-be-cast parts were suspended into a wood cavity mold and solder flux was liberally painted on these areas. Then molten lead was poured in and allowed to cool slowly for a few hours. I then popped the airplane out and proceeded to cast the other side the same way.

The long and tedious job is sanding and sculpting the fin and stabilizer section. I made a template of the fins' profiles to constantly monitor the outlines. The whole job took a few days to feel finished.

I have attached some shots to show the various steps. These are up to the point of the sanding and sculpting...

Regards, Tom
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:32 pm

Here are views of before and after. I made another tool to scribe the lines for the elevators. Basically a wood dowel with a piece of sharpened music wire. The other needed tool is a metal straight edge usually cut to size from 22 gauge steel to be my guide as the grooves are cut. Many light passes works better than trying to gouge the metal which only ends up with wavy lines.

The port wingtip was straightened in the process. I am a big proponent of using wet/water heat to make finite adjustments to bent pieces in cast metal. The various Hubley cast metal toys are excellent candidates for this procedure. All it takes is boiling or near boiling the item for about 2 minutes then making a incremental bend. No matter how small the bend, never try to go straight on the first go. Give it at least 3 boils and bends to set the part straight.

Tom
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Next

Return to Ashtray Models, Table Lighters and other Accessories