Captain Sully representin'!

For discussion of finished and assembled models from kits, scratch-built models, and snap-fit kit models.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader, dasimperator

Captain Sully representin'!

Postby dasimperator » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Not the biggest fan of Airbus jets but after the 'miracle on the Hudson' I just had to pick up a US Airways Airbus A-320 model for my collection. Premiere Planes is the maker of record though I suppose they all dip from the same big pot in China...

US_Airways_A-320.JPG
US_Airways_A-320.JPG (116.65 KiB) Viewed 10296 times
dasimperator

Re: Captain Sully representin'!

Postby Tone » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:47 pm

That little sign near the front passenger door shows the old logos of former airlines that became US Airways: Mohawk, Allegheny, Piedmont, PSA. Mohawk was the first BAC One-Eleven operator in US (1965).
Tone

Postby dasimperator » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:22 am

Here's a couple Mohawk 1-11s at Oneida County Airport near Utica

Mohawk_1-11_N1113J_Utica.jpg
Mohawk_1-11_N1113J_Utica.jpg (134.36 KiB) Viewed 10278 times
dasimperator

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 am

Ooops...point called! Braniff was the US launch customer for the BAC!
From Wiki: "In 1964, Braniff became the launch U.S. customer for the British-built BAC-111 twin jet"
Michael
...in Texas!...home of Braniff!
MichaelB

Postby BoeingDriver » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:24 am

Hey Michael! I guess you know that anyone can go into wiki and edit an article. Maybe someone from Texas already did that :lol:

I have a brochure from Mohawk where they claim to be a launch customer. My guess is that neither Braniff or Mohawk alone ordered enough aircraft initially to be THE launch customer for the program. I'm sure someone from England will let us know that British United were the launch customer.

In any case I love the BAC 1-11 and may have to drag some of my models out and start a new thread.

Ladd
BoeingDriver

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:45 am

I know about Wiki...further research has shown that Braniff started service in March, and Mohawk followed in May!
BUA was indeed the UK launch customer as well as first service - ahead of any US operators.
MJB
MichaelB

Postby grwebster » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:24 am

Ladd, I'll start the BAC 1-11 photos with this one. I have no idea why I obtained it at one of our own TPN planes only toy shows {Boy! I miss them!}- must have been very cheap, and I just liked the color. I don't even know who made it. It's been on that shelf for 10 years now untouched.....and before that it was in my plane house in Greenwich for several more years.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby dasimperator » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:38 pm

BoeingDriver wrote:Hey Michael! I guess you know that anyone can go into wiki and edit an article. Maybe someone from Texas already did that :lol:

I have a brochure from Mohawk where they claim to be a launch customer. My guess is that neither Braniff or Mohawk alone ordered enough aircraft initially to be THE launch customer for the program. I'm sure someone from England will let us know that British United were the launch customer.

In any case I love the BAC 1-11 and may have to drag some of my models out and start a new thread.

Ladd

Not a big fan of the BAC myself on account of the externally mounted cockpit windows. All it takes is one lazy nimrod of a mechanic and suddenly your captain is doing unexpected mid-flight inspections of the outer hull.
dasimperator

Postby dasimperator » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Best damned forced landing ever...
OK Captain Sully... now you're just showing off...

Found this toy aircraft carrier (actually two carriers with parts for one) released in the wild. Thought I'd have a bit o' fun...
dasimperator

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Needless to say, that's a DynaFlite F-14 on the elevator!
ZEE toys, and MotorMax, both issued two different aircraft carrier toys. One was the "USS Independence" but don't look for spotting signs! Both had fold up areas to store your fleet of DynaFlites!
I think MicroMachines also had an aircraft carrier; they were never uncommon on the shelves. The other note I have is for the tin aircraft carrier "Wolverine" from Empire. The USS Wolverine was a training carrier based in Lake Michigan in WWII. I don't have one of those but it sure looks like a neat piece!
The Independence features some of the best of the DynaFlite line, especially the two 1/200 planes: EA-6A and S-3A.
Attachments
Motormax Independence Carrier
Empre Aircraft Carrier
Red Box/Motormax no name carrier at Target
MichaelB

Next

Return to Assembled Models