Large collection need help with value

For discussion of finished and assembled models from kits, scratch-built models, and snap-fit kit models.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader, dasimperator

Large collection need help with value

Postby icefloe » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Hello all, I am an appraiser and have come across a large collection of model planes. The owners family would like to find them a new home and I am requesting help with approximate value. I have a complete list that I can scan and post if anybody is interested. Only have a few overall shots though. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Attachments
icefloe

Re: Large collection need help with value

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:44 am

Very nice! Now...are these built plastic models? Die Cast "collectibles"? Do you know any of the makes? Are the boxes that they came in available? What is the scale (looks like 1/72nd)?
It's difficult to price a collection without more information.
Thanks
Michael
MichaelB

Postby Epap » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Assuming that the models are kit-builds, as Mike has noted, and that they are in the 1:72nd scale, you might start by checking out the built aircraft section on eBay to get an idea of the prices similar models are selling for. Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Aircraft-/50295 ... _nkw=built
Epap

Postby Epap » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:35 pm

I should also add that it is important to know not only the name of the plane and, if possible, what kit was used for each model, but also, to try to sell these individually or in small, closely related sets, rather than the entire lot in one huge auction. In the latter case, you will find very few takers and, generally speaking, you will not get full value. Typically, I would say that a single engine model can command a sales price of $50-74 while a twin engine model might go for $75-100 and a larger one for about 10-20% more----but it all depends on the plane depicted, the quality of the build and what shape the model is in. Rare models----for Italian, Russian, Dutch, Polish and Japanese planes, for example, tend to garner greater interest---and prices---- than most American and British planes and the worth of Germans models varies a lot, depending on how rare the model is compared to what is already available from other sources.
Epap

Return to Assembled Models