Comet metal 1:432nd sets

These small scale wartime ID {identification recognition} models were produced in plastic and soft metal. After WWII Comet Authenticast reissued their products as boxed toys

Moderator: BWBrown

Re: Comet metal 1:432nd sets

Postby grwebster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Also, in the first scan note the two B-25 and P-38 pieces...both have holes through them, so they are Cruver ID pieces.

They look metal and if so they would be Comet IDs, the B-26 too in the same scan if it has a hole in it and is metal
if they are plastic with holes they are Cruver IDs, no hole Kix I would say. same with single engine, the third from the bottom on left, same scan.
The Cruver plastic was brittle, as I recall the Kix planes were a softer plastic, not flexible, just softer.

Hard to tell for me with out seeing them.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:36 pm

The only metal planes in the scans are the last one with the green B-24 and P-38, both with some metal showing.
There are some pieces with holes in the wings (!), which I ascribe to a prior owner, or child. The plastic varies greatly, from the waxy light gray to hard gray. The question is whether all these various colors are all Kix, or did they come from somewhere else?
The Kix issues were from 1948, BTW.
MJB
MichaelB

Postby chrsn » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:28 pm

I've opened up boxes with some of the aircraft I've accumulated. First up are the Comet/Authenticast metal aircraft, which I believe mine are nearly all postwar production. As you can see in the photos, there is a good deal of color variation, although olive drab is the predominant color. U.S. Naval aircraft (bottom center of first photo) are blue with white undersides. German aircraft (generally left side of first photo) tend to be darker blue, but you can see a Ju-87 and Me-110 that are a very dark grey (they also have the hanging hole--perhaps they are WWII issue?). I have two Mitsubishi Bettys (bottom left quartile) that are kind of a light powder blue. The unpainted aircraft are modern-day recasts, probably from AirPower (wargaming), with some of the unpainteds having the original underside inscription and some with the inscriptions filled in.

For the eagle-eyed, yes, I have an F9F Panther in there too. Obviously, that's a postwar Authenticast.

chrsn

Postby grwebster » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:55 am

I took some better photos of the wartime metal 1/432nd scale Comet IDs, all are the same od/greyish color and have holes

these below are mostly post war Comet Authenticast, mostly without holes and finished in various colors and insignia
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby chrsn » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:46 am

GR,

Are those the same set as the one you showed at the beginning of this thread? They look a lot lighter in color (I thought they might be Cruver plastic 1/432s), but maybe the lighting conditions were very different. If so, I take it that wartime issues are actually a pretty light grey rather than the very dark grey/olive drab that some of my planes are.

Chris
chrsn

Postby grwebster » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:22 am

Chris
these are the same as my first post and the colors in it were closer to the true ones.
I see from your collection I am missing a few, notably the C-47. I also note that it was not issued post war by Authenticast.
the color was lightened up for clarity in the last set of photos.
There are in reality closer to these below this but even darker.
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby chrsn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:52 pm

GR-

In the second photo (American aircraft), is the rightmost plane a Vultee Vengeance? Also, what is the aircraft just to the left of the Liberator? I don't think I've ever seen that plane before.

Congratulations on that great set of wartime Comets. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for stuff like that, but outside of an awesome set of plastic wartime Cruvers that I was fortunate to get my hands on (sans the British aircraft set), I have never seen full Comet aircraft sets. And believe me, it wasn't from lack of trying!
chrsn

Postby grwebster » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:43 am

I am in the Swiss Alps {20 degrees at night and tons of snow for what it is worth} and far away from my collection so I cannot give you the exact name under the wing, but the aircraft to the far right is a Vutlee Vengence dive bomber........ the one to the left of the Liberator is a Stinson Reliant
Dennis Ramsey has the full list of the war time issues.
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby ramseyd » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Will try to add list later today. Getting ready to finish Christmas shopping with wife and she is waiting. And possibly some photos of the 1/432 Masters in brass used by comet to make the molds from whence these were made.
Dennis
ramseyd

Previous

Return to 1:432nd scale