Wyandotte China Clipper Toy to Model Conversion

toys made by Marx, Wyandotte, Steelcraft etc....

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Wyandotte China Clipper Toy to Model Conversion

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:40 pm

I received an interesting request from a Pan Am Collector. He owned a rare original Pan Am model base that had lost its model years before and now wanted to have me modify a Wyandotte China Clipper to be mounted on the stand. The request was to make the toy airplane become scale-like as a Martin M-130 in as many ways as possible. So with those marching orders I proceeded. If anyone owns one, follow along and feel free to cringe a little, i'm off to re-write history. here is the list and a few pictures...
1) Replaced the props assemblies with more scale-like versions. Brass tube, aluminum rings, modified pop rivets for engines and prop shafts and new cast metal propellers.
2) New wing struts to connect the sponsons to the wings (4 ea). These were made using collapsed brass tubing that were fitted for the span. These soldered to the bottom of the wings with steel pins soldered to the sponson end. Holes were drilled into the sponsons so that the wing can still be assembled in the same sequence (carefully) as originally designed.
3) The landing gear was not only removed but the aft gear cavity was modified for the stand attachment and the main gear were folded back up into the sponsons. I then solder filled all the gaps left.
4) The bottom hollowed out sponsons were covered with heavy brass plate and soldered into position.
5) All body voids, production scars and excess holes were solder filled and smoothed.
6) The front "windshield" area had the three required windows cut and finished. The side cockpit windows were elongated to match the prototype.
7) The wing was further modified with a trailing edge taper (to more match the prototype) and shifted further aft in a more scale position.

I am working through the paint process currently in many stages. Though the model is not quite ready, we had a practice assembly session and temporarily mounted it to the stand for pictures. Note that gap between the belly pan and the nose will be closed up during final assembly -see below- I will post more shots in my next entry

Tom Sanders
Sandman Overhaul
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Re: Wyandotte China Clipper Toy to Model Conversion

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:44 pm

A few more pictures of the Wyandotte toy-to-model conversion:
Regards, Tom
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Here is the finished assembly of the Wyandotte Toy Airplane modified into a Semi-Scale Martin M-130 per client's request. Note that the belly pan is in black but the top of the sponsons in silver per the prototype. Before the final assembly process progressed, I carefully hand-polished then lacquered each prop blade. Again, to closely match the prototype, full-scale airplane.

The trickiest bit was the final assembly with positioning the four new struts in place. This meant having two people on task (thanks to my son Luke) so that the belly pan and struts could mated to the fuselage. It assembled in a side to side manner so that the port side struts nested into their sockets first then the starboard side in the same manner. Good communication was the key to salvation!! The new sockets were filled with epoxy before assembly of the new strut pins. Once dry, the struts became function. This is clearly the most rigid Wyandotte China Clipper on earth!!

All went without a hitch and the model is ready for its return trip.

Regards,
Tom Sanders
SANDMAN OVERHAUL
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Postby hovermd » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Beautiful work! I am always impressed with the final product, and am certain your client will be thrilled as well.
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks Mark. He should have by early next week. He is the same one hunting down an elusive Arcade Clipper for his upcoming book.

Tom
sandmanoverhaul

Return to Pressed Steel