Wyandotte XB-24

toys made by Marx, Wyandotte, Steelcraft etc....

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Wyandotte XB-24

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Tue May 05, 2015 4:13 am

I have a Wyandotte "4-engine transport" that was literally beaten by a former owner (probably a kid who is now a great-grandfather). The nose was dented in and the tail removed so generally in rough condition. I have studied the airplane off and on for a couple of years and, always being for the underdog, decided to re-build it and make it better than new. And, in this case, into the prototype XB-24 Liberator. Lots of surgery in a project like this and frankly its scary to start cutting metal. Here are two shots, one of the actual prototype airborne and the second picture showing the overhauled toy airplane in progress. I included another Wyandotte in better shape but exactly like the one being modified. So far the mods include, building and grafting on a new nose section from steel, re-location of the wing, building a new dorsal panel from steel, tapering the trailing edges of the wings, a new (but unfinished) tail assembly and a new nose gear. In the works is an new belly pan, main landing gear and full profile fins. After that some filler, new paint and markings to have it reminiscent of the Consolidated prototype.

Regards,
Tom
SANDMAN OVERHAUL
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Re: Wyandotte XB-24

Postby richardstarr » Tue May 05, 2015 10:06 pm

This is a FANTASTIC, GREAT renovation or overhaul. Definitely looks like the EXPERIMENTAL CONSOLIDATED B-24.

You have great skills with metal and forming the new CONSOLIDATED BOMBER. Thanks very much for the GREAT pictures.

It is nice to see that actual talented metal craftsmen can construct almost anything aeronautical.

Keep up the good work. I have seen some of your other aviation efforts and they are EXCEPTIONAL. Thanks,

Richard Starr
richardstarr

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 05, 2015 11:53 pm

Yes, indeed - that's awesome work, Tom!
I look forward to the finished product!
Michael
MichaelB

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Wed May 06, 2015 12:32 am

Thanks Richard and Michael.

I have some new shots of the airplane with most of the transformative changes in place. Now comes the filling, sanding, painting a detailing. The additional major components that have been applied are the fins, the main gear assemblies, fuselage plug under the stabilizer, engines, props and some additional ballasting. I made some larger engines to stay in scale. The Wyandotte stamp cowlings were just to small. I am considering allowing the belly pan to be removable in case someone wants to hide their jewels in the cavernous bombay. Here's hoping that I have this finished over the weekend.
Tom
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 06, 2015 12:47 am

...it all looks like great fun, Tom!
I keep looking for the "Like" button! :)
MichaelB

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Mon May 11, 2015 2:05 am

Here are the shots of the new/old Wyandotte XB-24, a transformation from the beat-up Super Mainliner DC-4E. I have some minor details such as applying the wheels and retainers to get finished and the chrome silver paint needs to cure about a week before it can be comfortably handled. The toughest part is keeping all the components simple like those that Wyandotte may have used to finish the airplane. For instance, the fin flashing striped colors were applied to outside surfaces of the fins as in regular production, this task would have been too detailed and timely to achieve nice results.

Tom
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Tue May 12, 2015 12:34 am

Here are two final shots of the completed XB-24. The final details were adding more "windows" to the cockpit area and adding fitments to keep the wheels rolling on the axles.
Tom
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 12, 2015 3:21 am

Nice! ...much better than any other Wyandotte!
MichaelB

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Tue May 12, 2015 4:23 am

Thanks Michael. Now I wonder what to do for an encore. How's this...

If any MAC members live near Lincoln, Nebraska, as a National Supervisor for Science Olympiad, I will be running the Elastic Launch Glider event at the Science Olympiad National Competition this coming Saturday, May 16. If you have never experienced an indoor flying competition, come out to the University's fieldhouse from 8am until 3pm. The best middle school and high school teams from all 50 states will be flying the Gliders and the Wright Stuff rubber powered events there.

Call me on my cell at 219-241-8622 for more info or send me a PM. Oh, if you come, bring a stopwatch. You can help time flights!

BTW, I am on the Education Committee for the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA). You can also find me on YouTube. Just look here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq9JjCs12ks

Regards,
Tom
sandmanoverhaul

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Neato!
Wish I could be there.
Michael
MichaelB

Next

Return to Pressed Steel