Wyandotte Vega- Small

toys made by Marx, Wyandotte, Steelcraft etc....

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Wyandotte Vega- Small

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Season's Greetings to All!

Wyandotte Toys created some interesting designs in the 1930's in cars, trucks and airplanes. They did a little mixing and matching of parts with some going into production some, obviously, not making the cut. A year ago a fellow collector found a box of Wyandotte VEGAs (small versions) in Wyandotte, MI. One of these (orange and gray), was rumored to have hung in a toy store window at Christmas and was wired for lights. The other two showed how the same design was morphed with two different engine cowlings. One, (stripped of paint) had the "bowl nose". The third had a flat nose and also featured a very rare set of panted landing gear. Was this a prototype that didn't make the cut? Who knows but it is fun enough to overhaul into the infamous "WINNIE MAE" of Wiley Post fame. There are still some tasks to do but this gives a glimpse to the progress so far.

Tom
Attachments
Soon to be WINNIE MAE
trio of VEGAs
sandmanoverhaul

Re: Wyandotte Vega- Small

Postby hovermd » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:26 pm

I love to see toys that are likely prototype items! There's nothing cooler than a rare variant found in the town where a manufacturer was based.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a similar Hubley item 3 years ago (see post below if you like):

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1111&p=5313&hilit=prototype+hubley#p5313

Thanks for sharing!
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:25 am

Those Hubley helicopters were of my favorites as a kid growing up in PA.

Here are some "finished shots" of the mystery Wyandotte Vega. I good friend was just kidding me that I missed "one window on the port side". My reply was that at some point the toy becomes a model and I was not willing to cross that threshold.
Tom
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Postby hovermd » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Superb workmanship - beautiful!
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Return to Pressed Steel