Golden Age Airport

toys made by Marx, Wyandotte, Steelcraft etc....

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Golden Age Airport

Postby soslipstream » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:11 pm

My youngest son Luke turned 13 yesterday and one of his plans was to go visit the Lego Factory Store near Chicago. Though Luke knew what he was looking for, he was still planning to cruise the area for about an hour. It gave me ample time to check out the loose parts areas and it re-spawned a concept of creating a "Golden Age Airport" Terminal. I really like the old 1930's-1940's linen post cards that were so prevalent during the "Golden Age" and wanted to give that "look" when showing my airplanes. My vision was for it to be loosely based on the beautiful Art Deco terminal that has been restored in Houston, TX. Space limitations restricted an actaul scale model but Luke and I were able to find enough bits to build a wall "facade" model to use as a backdrop when photographing my vintage aircraft projects. Eventually, I will figure out the lighting but for now it seems to work just fine.

Tom
Attachments
soslipstream

Re: Golden Age Airport

Postby grwebster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:36 am

very clever
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Nice stuff! We think alike! I'm sorry you weren't able to meet up with us in Florida.
BTW...anytime you need shots of the ATM in Houston, lemme know! I also have all those post cards...
MichaelB

Postby soslipstream » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 pm

Thank-You, Michael.

I have a year's inventory of smaller pressed steel airplanes to overhaul (in addition to the Marx Large DC-4's) and really wanted something with nostalgia in their pictures. My "photo-studio" is the top of a large drawing board so am limited with area constraints. When the weather improves, I plan to re-blue the backround and re-whiten the clouds for more contrast.

I may take you up on those pictures someday. I have a client who has been begging me to meet him in Houston just to go to the Terminal. Someday, someday, but only after I get through my current backlog of projects.

BTW, my timing is just off in trying to meet with all of you. I will be in the Tampa area in May officiating the flying events of the national competition for SCIENCE OLYMPIAD. It's my 17th year at the helm and I feel I should take some responsibility for introducing these events to Science Olympiad years ago. So I keep being a volunteering for them. Unfortunately, I will be too busy the 3 days I am there to make any side trips to airports, museums and etc, bummer.

Regards, Tom Sanders
Science Olympiad National Supervisor
soslipstream

Postby Tone » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:22 pm

That one hits the spot. Years ago I tried making a Lego terminal by building around my 1970 Mattel Hot Birds control tower, but it never looked right so I dismantled it.

You could post that one on "Brickshelf" also.
Tone

Return to Pressed Steel