Australian Pressed steel Planes

toys made by Marx, Wyandotte, Steelcraft etc....

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Australian Pressed steel Planes

Postby Tone » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:25 am

I found these two photos on-line: the four-engine is a Boomeroo brand Avro York and the single-engine is unknown but possibly the same brand. The owner states that the Boomeroo is very rare and has a wingspan of over 14". I clearly remember seeing, some years ago, a photo of an Australian Boomeroo brand toy Lancaster, but the photo was so small I could not tell how accurate the model was.

Author also states his Boomeroo Avro York is tin plate, but it looks like a Wyandotte steel toy in its construction. It also has a decal that reads "British Airways York."

I know Dinky Toys also made a York as a die cast toy, that this plane was used for a short time in the late 1940s as a passenger transport but was still flying in some Asian countries in the 50s.
Attachments
Tone

Re: Australian Pressed steel Planes

Postby grwebster » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:49 am

That is a good model of the York. Other than Dinky, and Cruver, not many toys or models were made from that aircraft, nor of the basic aircraft from which it borrowed much of its design, the Lancaster Bomber.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby soslipstream » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:24 am

I will add to the mystery. This is an airplane that I just purchased from down under. Its profile certainly matches that of a Supermarine Spitfire. Note what seems to be an excess of extra holes. If it had been painted silver, it would have been easy to see the prototype Spitfire that featured cropped exhaust stubs and the eight machine guns in the wings. Maybe eight red tape patches over the wing holes is what it needs, Hmmm.

Has anyone ever seen one of these? What type of prop arrangement did it have? Was it a fixed two blade? did it have a nose cone?

Thanks, Tom
Attachments
soslipstream

Postby Tone » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:46 am

That green plane whose photo I snagged must've been yours. The wear patterns match.

I have no idea of what kind of prop, if any, was fitted. That was the first time I had ever seen a toy plane like that one.

It looked to me like one of those Marx planes - Seversky?
Tone

Postby soslipstream » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:55 pm

Just got back from a week of business travel. I had received a prop that I purchased on the internet with the intention of using on the "Aussie Mystery Spit". See the pics attached.
The new prop is pretty fancy against that seasoned toy airplane. The airplane has a pretty bland paint job anyway.

Since I plan to overhaul the toy and sell it again, does anyone care to offer an opinion on the four choices below?
1) Same or close to original green.
2) Same green but add Roundels
3) Silver like the prototype
4) Camo as a Mk 1 used in the Battle of Britain.
Attachments
soslipstream

Postby grwebster » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:48 pm

I wouldn't use that prop at all, a stamped steel one would seem more appropriate to me.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Another Australian Pressed Steel Plane

Postby Tone » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Accoding to its owner, the toy plane below is both a "Wyn Toy Skymaster" and a "Boomeroo Hercules." I thought Wyn Toy and Boomeroo were two different firms. He dates the plane to 1948. It does not look like a Skymaster (which was a C-54 / DC-4) and, if 1948, pre-dates the Hercules by about eight years.
Attachments
Tone

Postby soslipstream » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:29 pm

If you study that airplane, it is a virtual copy of the Marx Medium Airliner a DC-4 Mainliner. They simply eliminated the vertical fin and bent up the stabilizer tips to form two small fins.

Tom
Attachments
soslipstream

Postby A30yoyo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:09 am

Googling Boomaroo York brings up a recent ebay sale with some close up photos of this handsome toy
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOOMAROO-Aus ... 7675.l2557

and you can buy repro decals from Holland
http://www.triang.nl/decalboomaroo.html

and Googling Boomaroo Lancaster leads to WynToy related photos on flickr via flickrhivemind (a 3rd party derivative of flickr) and seems to be connected with the low wing type in the earlier post
http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/wyntoy/Timeline
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36670848@N03/6577884159
A30yoyo

Postby A30yoyo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:46 am

Looking through an old file of saved images from online auctions a decade ago I found this 'Boomaroo Meteor'
A30yoyo

Next

Return to Pressed Steel