All Aluminum Air Force

post photos of your collection displays here.

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

All Aluminum Air Force

Postby soslipstream » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:41 pm

Well, almost all aluminum.... Here's a portrait of mostly aluminum models that all have period pedigree. Many are 1/72 scale including the solid aluminum B-17E in the middle. That particular piece is a sand cast unit and will take a few months of wet sanding and polishing. The plan is to finish it as a YB-17E in natural aluminum with pre war markings. I have a few nice color pictures for reference.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!
Tom Sanders
Attachments
soslipstream

Re: All Aluminum Air Force

Postby grwebster » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:17 am

Nice items
I have seen several over the years. I have a b-29 1/72 scale that still has the Cruver ID markings visible. Impossible to date, but some feel that they were trench art, ie ww2 made by mechanics using an ID model as a mold when their aircraft were on missions using the machine shop foundry.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby car15 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:31 am

I would like to add this one. Would love to know any info on it.

Thanks
Attachments
car15

Postby chrsn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Those are some very nice aluminum models. That P-38 really gleams. I was wondering: from a collectors' standpoint, is it better to leave aluminum models with the light oxidation or to clean them up with something like diluted vinegar?
chrsn

Postby grwebster » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm

In my opinion, these types of models in aluminum should be polished up if the surface is rough, if already polished with patina, leave it alone.
Same with brass models. if there is a patina, leave it as it.
Here are some of mine. One day I'' polish up the ones that need it. LOL

GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby soslipstream » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Over the holiday I built a fixture to turn prop disks from Plexi-glas sheet. I figure that all aluminum airplanes may need a little bit of dynamics for display. My "test mule" was my long suffering Strombecker B-26 ID Model that I rescued and and have been using to develop various techniques. The disks, no surprise, work as well on my Bronzart B-26 (both 1/72 scale ID models). The real trick was being able to polish the edges of each disk.

Regards, Tom
Attachments
soslipstream

Postby soslipstream » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:37 pm

chrsn wrote:Those are some very nice aluminum models. That P-38 really gleams. I was wondering: from a collectors' standpoint, is it better to leave aluminum models with the light oxidation or to clean them up with something like diluted vinegar?

I agree with GR on when to chose polishing. Brass airplanes with a patina seems right that they be left alone, they seemed to have earned that finish. I think that aluminum airplanes are another story as they have far more appeal if they are polished. On my P-38, it was pretty rough when I found it. I use mechanic's hand soap to get the crud off the surface. Then it was 600 grit wet emory paper then the various levels of fingernail polishers(the really fine colorful ones) to get that shine. An intense bit of aluminum polish and buffing to keep it shiny is equally important.

Tom
soslipstream

Postby chrsn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:02 pm

soslipstream wrote:Over the holiday I built a fixture to turn prop disks from Plexi-glas sheet. I figure that all aluminum airplanes may need a little bit of dynamics for display. My "test mule" was my long suffering Strombecker B-26 ID Model that I rescued and and have been using to develop various techniques. The disks, no surprise, work as well on my Bronzart B-26 (both 1/72 scale ID models). The real trick was being able to polish the edges of each disk.

Regards, Tom

Well done on those prop disks. Speaking of which: I never understood why, on some ashtray models, the manufacturers would model prop blades. I mean, if those things are to be used as ashtrays, why model thin, delicate parts that are just begging to be broken off by someone's big hand coming in to put out a cigarette? Bad idea in my opinion, and much better served using either clear prop disks or nothing at all. You can model an aircraft and capture its essence yet still make it hardy enough to withstand bumping and reasonable handling.
chrsn

Postby bstewart9 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Here are some photos of a Spitfire that I picked up in England in 1990. I believe it is aluminum but could be wrong. I got it at the Biggin Hill Airshow. If you can't read it, under the starboard wing it says "BATTLE OF BRITAIN", 40TH ANNIVERSARY, 1940 1990. The port wing says D P CARTER, MK 1.

Scale = 1:72 (wing span = 6.25" and length = 5").

This was the first airplane in my collection.

Bill Stewart
bstewart9

Postby soslipstream » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Bill,
Very Nice Spit Mk1B! And, yes, that is probably aluminum. When you purchased it, were you told whether it was old or a more recent production? It is nice that it was produced in 1/72 ID model scale. I have one stashed somewhere and after work I will dig it out and compare it to yours. Mine was from England as well.

Tom
soslipstream

Next

Return to Photos of your collection