New Constellation Found

For cereal premiums, airline promotional items

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

New Constellation Found

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:55 pm

The Lockheed Constellation has been issued as a "give-away" since it's first introduction into service by TWA. It's not hard to find the short body Constellation most likely produced by Hawk Plastics in Chicago. They came in a variety of airline flavors as well as cereal premiums.
Additionally the Super Constellation is also fairly common, coming in a variety of airline liveries including TWA, TCA and more.
Finally the 1249 "Jet Stream" is also a commonly produced item, but due to it's short term in service, a rare item.
That said I was surprised to find another - previously unknown to me - Super Constellation. This is a different cast than all the others I have, being different in a number of "spotting" features.
First off...it has the "radar" nose; the other have the non-radar nose.
Detail features are raised. All the others feature depressions for windows, but on this one they are raised.
The size is similar - but not identical - to the more common Constellation.
So...here then we have a different sort of bird. For me, finding this one was exciting! It's not too often that I find something different!
I appeal to my fellow collectors to enlighten me if this is also new to them!
Thanks
Michael
Attachments
Detail showing windows
Comparison to the more common TWA and TCA issue
MichaelB

New Constellation Found

Postby Tone » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:46 am

Michael
Even though your Constellation is small, it appears to be very nicely modeled.
Tone

Re: New Constellation Found

Postby planepaul » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:28 am

Nice find, Michael! I don't know that I have seen this one before. You probably know of the TCA Connie with the lapel pin stuck through a post on the bottom, and the Bonux with tip tanks.
planepaul

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:09 pm

Yeah...this one is all new to me.
Thanks to you I have a Bonux Constellation and now that I've held that in my hands, it makes the prior one - that I had assigned to Bonux - another "guess".
I don't have the TCA. Is it their "regular" Super Constellation with a pin?
I have added a photo showing the not Bonus Constellation.
I will be posting a Bonux "article" pretty soon.
Thanks!
Michael
PS: Will I see you at the Houston Collectibles show or Wings Over Houston this year?
Attachments
Non-Bonux Constellation
MichaelB

Postby planepaul » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:01 am

Here are the two pin-back TCA giveaways I have. The group shot has those, plus a shiny white CV-880, a chrome TCA Super Connie, and a "house" Super Connie, with inset lettering.
Sadly, I will miss the Houston Collectibles show, as well as WOH 2015. Oshkosh was a budget-buster< but worth it.
Attachments
planepaul

Return to Plastic Promotional Give-Aways