Dubena Czech Convair 880 model

Ready made plastic toys such as Renwal, Palitoy, Acme, Processed Plastics, etc...

Moderators: MichaelB, angelreader

Dubena Czech Convair 880 model

Postby dasimperator » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:44 pm

While not quite to the letter of the 'ready-made' catagory, this is an interesting item from the former Soviet Bloc. Anyways I've seen some kits get posted to this group so sit back, relax and enjoy the flight...

dubena_cv-880-01.jpg
dubena_cv-880-01.jpg (55.27 KiB) Viewed 8109 times

A 1/250 Convair CV-880 by the Dubena company of Czechoslovakia (a nation that has since split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia)

dubena_cv-880-02.jpg
dubena_cv-880-02.jpg (47.74 KiB) Viewed 8109 times

It is a fairly good representation of the CV-880 for its size (6 1/2" length 6" wingspan)

dubena_cv-880-03.jpg
dubena_cv-880-03.jpg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 8109 times

Landing gear is quite toylike in that (supplied) push pins served as the axles for the landing gear wheels. Decals were provided for Delta Air Lines livery but since it would've been required to paint the cheat line in manualy I opted to keep the plane in its light grey colour.

All in all a splendid little model. I might get more of these as they show up on eBay.
Last edited by dasimperator on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasimperator

Re: Dubena Czech Convair 880 model

Postby grwebster » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:13 am

it is a very nice model.
The only reason we do not promote kits here on this site is that there are many other sites for the topic. We could always add a forum if some one wanted it.
I think every one enjoys seeing what out members do in the kit field and frankly I am envious- I can't glue, paint or assemble...never could even as a kid. AS you may have realized Barry Clay, aka angelreader and the site co-founder, is a major scratch and kit builder and is already active on other sites in that area of interest. If Barry or others would like to add a kit forum here, it could b e easily done.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby pendulum19 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:57 pm

This is actually a nice lloking model!

Don't laugh, but I have the taste for that exact type of wheels! I'd love to have one too...
pendulum19

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:50 pm

Well GR, I think you missed the tie-in on this one! Although the kit is from Dubena the original mold is from Siku in Germany! Siku originally issued these as built up (as in assembled, decaled and with a spot of paint or two) toys. Originally issued in the early 1960s, Siku also issued companion airport GSE and terminal buildings. It's a great set of subjects overall and I wish they could be had for a reasonable price in the US.
The 1/250/260 scale makes them nice companions for those who have an interest in the 1/240 Air Power set by Monogram models from the same time period.
I suppose the Dubena kits are a good substitute!
Michael the Modeler
Houston
Correction: The "decals" from Siku are actually pre-printed "stickers" in the best toy tradition. I'm looking at their Convair and F-27 in front of me.
MichaelB

Postby grwebster » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:57 am

didn't know that, michael. Siku's are great toys and I am still missing some of the airliner variations and the C-121.
here are some, note the Convair 880 you mentioned
some images from the catalog
note the 3 airport vehicle, stairs etc....
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:00 pm

As always I am jealous of your collections, GR!
To back up a little here...the line between the "plastic model kits" and "toy airplanes" is often blurred and I intend to stick to that line, as kits, per se, aren't appropriate here.
However, they do have some interesting crossovers like with the Siku! For instance, I won't even mention the various Busch and Lindberg pieces that also appear to be taken from these Sikus.
Michael
MichaelB

Postby grwebster » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:14 pm

good point, our minds think alike I just posted this
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=330&p=912#p912
and as I mentioned, if you guys want to add kits to this forum, let me know and it will be done. It is a huge subject and seems to be covered extensively elsewhere unlike the topics we cover here in out many forums.
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:49 am

I don't think we should add plastic model kits here, just because I think we have enough on our plate as it is! Yes, there are a number of other places to go for kits, like my own yahoogroup: scalemodelingnostalgia
All we do is talk about "old" kits, trace down tidbits of information on "classic" kits and trade lies and misinformation! :D We also spend time with box art and wax nostalgic about waking up on Christmas mornings past and the models that so many of us can so vividly recall! It was a memorable time to be a young boy in the '50s-'60s, and everyone had plastic models! Like much of the toy industry, it came out of the '50s, peaked in the early '70s and began a decline that continues to this day....much like the old "toy" airplanes we discuss here. They are parallel lines that often cross.
However, I won't hesitate to bring up and comment on plastic kits when it seems appropriate to the topic at hand, like with the Siku pieces.
Michael
MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:59 am

I have an extra Dubena Electra and Convair 440 that I would like to equal trade for a DC8 and CV880...if anyone has extras of either.
Thanks
Michael
MichaelB

Postby dasimperator » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:23 am

grwebster wrote:good point, our minds think alike I just posted this
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=330&p=912#p912
and as I mentioned, if you guys want to add kits to this forum, let me know and it will be done. It is a huge subject and seems to be covered extensively elsewhere unlike the topics we cover here in out many forums.

Would an acceptable comprimise be to allow model kit planes so long as product and not process is discussed with it duly noted this is a collectors forum and not a hobbyist's forum? One could allow for discussions on 'curating' already built kits. I imagine there might be more than one collector of already assembled kits bought a garage sales or whereever they end up when the original owner (kid) is done with them (ages out of the hobby).

Perhaps the topic could be called 'Assembled Models' which could cover those snap-fit airliner models you can get at airport gift shops (I have several of those) as well as those Snap-a-roos that got posted on the old site.
dasimperator

Next

Return to Plastic toys