Space Models, British manufacturer of desk models

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

Space Models, British manufacturer of desk models

Postby grwebster » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:51 am

I came across this excellent model some years ago. Obviously not a cheap Phillappines mahogany model {actually those 'handmade' wooded models are never cheap- they just look it} but I never payed much attention to it until a few weeks ago I cataloged it and was surprised to learn by the label underneath that it was made by Space Models, a highly respected model maker who generally made very limited models only for manufacturers. I believe the firm no longer exists.
A few years ago I purchased this Space Models Canadair prototype for military patrol use for no money on ebay. The seller was contacted after the close by someone who must have offered big bucks for it and then the seller tried to get me to cancel my winning bid. To his credit he eventually gave up, but not graciously. The model came in a box that had a pencil marking on it indicating it was one of only 5 made.

I have a beautiful U-2 made by them, also. Also a turbo Pilatus Porter PC-6. Very nice work.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Re: Space Models, British manufacturer of desk models

Postby grwebster » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:20 am

Here is the Space Models U-2 note the detail of the anti-collision light.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Return to Manufacturer's Models