Heinkel HE-111 B1

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

Heinkel HE-111 B1

Postby fliegerii » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:02 pm

A few months ago I got the pictured model of a Heinkel HE-111 B1. Span is about 45 cm, which makes a scale 1/50. As you can see, about 30% of the parts are missing. The model has moveable flaps, gears and gear doors. I was so far not able to clarify the origin of the model. It could be a Heinkel engineering model (Heinkel was deep in making such kind of models) or a prototype of a toy maker. The design of the gear is very close to Maerklin, but the most famous Maerklin expert here in Germany refuses it as Maerklin model. DUX could be another option.

The model is made of brass plate. I have started a while ago to complete it. I will not keep it in this condition, but fully restore it including all working functions. Target for completion is Christmas this year..... 8-)

The poor condition and the many missing parts makes it necessary to design some transmission and other parts by my own idea. Before I am entering the hot phase of work, I would like to know, if any of you have this model as well or know it. Actually I don't believe that, but one never knows... and it would be disappointing if I complete it partly on phantasy base and after finishing somebody sends me a photo of the original model....

So if you know something, please let me know!

Thanks for your support!

Chris
Attachments
he111_1.jpg
he111_1.jpg (59.92 KiB) Viewed 9766 times
fliegerii

Re: Heinkel HE-111 B1

Postby fliegerii » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Meanwhile the paint is stripped down.....
Attachments
PICT1090_small.JPG
PICT1090_small.JPG (42.32 KiB) Viewed 9730 times
fliegerii

Postby fliegerii » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:41 pm

.... and the main flaps are re-added, including the transmission gear being allocated in the wing.
Attachments
PICT1130_small.JPG
PICT1130_small.JPG (32.93 KiB) Viewed 9730 times
fliegerii

Postby grwebster » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:09 pm

chris, i may have an machined aluminum prop and hub for your plane, i
found one a long time ago and kept it- could you take some pics and measurements of the one you have and post
I can check in a few weeks when I am back in the US
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby fliegerii » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi GR,

thanks for the offer. The seller of this model started already to make some spare parts and provided the flaps and two additional machined props. They are good in quality and with some tuning I will use them. There is no need for another one!

Greetings!

Chris
fliegerii

Postby grwebster » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:26 am

how is this project going?
any new photos?
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby fliegerii » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:28 pm

The engine covers, the machine gun on top and a bottom plate is still missing, otherwise complete. Of course I still need to consider how to do the canopies.
The brass is difficult to photograph....

The plane is full of mechanic inside. Also that is not possible to catch.
Attachments
heinkel_new.jpg
heinkel_new.jpg (172.39 KiB) Viewed 9599 times
Last edited by fliegerii on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fliegerii

Postby grwebster » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:15 pm

looking good, lots of progress. Haven't a clue how to do canopies, though. Any ideas?
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby soslipstream » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Canopies- Long winded tutirial to follow...

Vacuum Forming is the best route and there are plenty of "How-To's" on the internet. The following gives a glimpse...

1) Vac Form- build/carve/ polish a plug from a hardwood such as basswood or maple. Make it so that it fits into the cavity of the cockpit and matches the window contour. Coat with sanding sealer and a clear varnish. Now comes the fun... a) find a local freeflight SCALE modeler (check the AMA or equal for the list) and offer to pay for materials, beer and pizza and ask him to VAC Form on his machine. b) Make or buy your own Vac unit and do the whole thing yourself (its not all that hard). c) go the poor man's route...

At the hobby shop, ask the clerk for clear plastic preferably thick, for vacuum forming . Now, create a sandwich of strong ply (1/4" min. thickness) that has two halves top and bottom with a long handle. The ply rim should be at least one inch wide around the "hole". Find some spring style paper clips that can pinch the two halves around the perimenter of the sandwich. It should have the appearance of a racquetball racket with a top and bottom. This is to sandwich the clear plastic. Assemble the sandwich and stick in a 350 degree oven and wait patiently for the plastic to look wet and saggy. Pull it out of the oven and plunge over the wood plug. This works best when the plug is mounted on a stick about a foot high. Expect to take at least 5 tries to get one that works.

2) Carve and polish a solid block of plexiglas much in the same manner as the wood plug described above.

3) The windows in the front nose area will be the difficult task....
a) make a pattern of the nose with clay by covering the nose window area with masking tape. Press the clay into place and make a large "vessel". Carefully remove it and glue onto a small sheet of wood to stand. Mix a large batch of epoxy resin and fill that vessel's cavity. Let it cure about 3 days. Remove it and you hopefully have a another "Plug" for molding. Vac form as above then cut the cone to fit the window area and glue in place with UHU.
b)... to actually have the plastic lay flush in the window voids, possibly heat the plastic after its in the nose with an RC Model plastic covering (ie monokote gun) that has the appearnce of a hair dryer but hotter. Just heat enough for the plastic to sag slightly and create a flush surface on the nose.

Ask me any questions,
Tom Sanders
soslipstream

Postby fliegerii » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:23 am

Here comes the last update in 2010:
- Engine cowlings completed
- MG 15 on B-stand added
- Props added
- Flaps accurately re-worked
- Bottom plate added (not visible on pics)

Next step is now finally the making of the canopies. I have decided to make a positive mould from resin and to use standard heated plexi to create it over the positive mould.

Merry Christmas to all of you!
Attachments
fliegerii

Next

Return to Manufacturer's Models