Topping F-105 Restore Project

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

Re: Topping F-105 Restore Project

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:47 pm

That foil is very heavy and tough to work with! I suggest using Bare Metal Foil which can be found at most hobby suppliers. Very thin and avaialble in a variety of different tints. Good for masking as well.
Finally, you can use ordinary household foil and spray adhesive on the back, but the Bare Metal Foil will work best of all.
Michael
MichaelB

Postby grwebster » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:04 pm

wonderful collection and a great subject.
I am pretty there is a toy Thud by Cragstan and one by Polistil Italy, not many others
Here is the post war USA identification model. Sorry only photo I have of it with me.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:30 pm

Go-Line and even my beloved DynaFlites have F105s in their catalogs. Both are hard to find, but neither will satisfy anyone's notion of a "quality model".
Attachments
A125  F-105 Modern Toys issue.jpg
A125 F-105 Modern Toys issue.jpg (129.35 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Confirm a Cragstan F105 (I've gotta get pictures of these things!), Polistil and Mandarin as well. More to come, I'm sure.
Michael
PS: Add Playme to the list!
Attachments
Politoy Planes.jpg
Politoy Planes.jpg (78 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
MichaelB

Postby grwebster » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:51 pm

You know Michael, as we are so focused on toys I wonder if solumis {andrea} really cares about our Thud toys. But the Harrier collector turned out to be a secret toy collector so maybe solumis is too!
I know Ladd {boeingdriver}had a wonderful tin and die cast toy collection then sold it all like 15 years ago. He then saw the light and started getting them again....
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:06 pm

...you mentioned Cragstan and Polistil...so I had to expound since that's my territory! :D
I think that the 105 is both a common subject - and overlooked, all at the same time - which is it's station in life, I suppose. We airplane aficinados love it, of course, as it's a beefy hunk o' iron that did a tough job...but for the general public it has none of the charm of it's numerical predecessor, the F104, which had a poor service record.
Michael
MichaelB

Postby BoeingDriver » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:55 pm

OK. GR posted a BAC 1-11 in an F-105 thread so I am forced to open a new thread on the BAC 1-11.

As for disposing of various collections to focus on one or two areas, I don't neccessarily regret the decision but I wish I had kept more. Therein lies the problem--where to make the cut!

I have the tin toys spread out throughout my manufacturer and travel agent collection. It looks good to me just to run it all together. When someone unfamiliar with this sickness views my collection many are left cold by the accurate models but find the toys to be something really engaging. I'm always pleased to have kept a display case of Tootsies for that person who walks by a gem like a mint Raiseup 1/50 model only to ogle for 10 or fifteen minutes at a bunch of Tootsies. Same thing with having something like a Joustra Air France Connie--if they know nothing about the rest of the planes they can't believe they are seeing a toy like they had eons ago.

Ladd
BoeingDriver

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:18 pm

I don't think I have any 1-11s in my collection...so there!
But that's always the problem with a thread...any subject touches on many others, and like most of us I have a lot of stuff stashed back there that crosses many lines...but...it's all fun!
Michael
MichaelB

Postby BoeingDriver » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:25 pm

Michael--Not even an old Airfix kit?????????
BoeingDriver

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:38 pm

Off topic! Shame on you! :D
...dozens...original issue...Sky King issue...and the reissue from just a few years ago...I even have an original Braniff brochure from 1965 - that I got when I was a kid!
Never have flown in a 1-11...or an F105 either!...but I have buddies that did...again...I'll let it stand at that...
MJB
MichaelB

PreviousNext

Return to Manufacturer's Models