Bronzart desk models

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

Re: Bronzart desk models

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Another Rare Bronzart P-51. I bit the bullet and bought this on a late night auction and is in excellent shape for its age. It included a purported original glass insert to boot. Two prop blades had been bent askew but with a little "wet-heat" and finger massage the blades have been straightened. This Fall I will repaint the prop assembly. The ashtray is the best I have ever seen a gives a stellar example of how they originally appeared when new including the Bronzart hoil label.

Tom
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:10 pm

On the F4U, I don't think these came with an ashtray but the one I acquired at least had its original support arm. The ashtray was a a trashed unit that had a gaping hole where the funky/chunky support arm had been. I will show the damaged ashtray in my second reply.

Tom
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:15 pm

About that ashtray for the F4U... it came to the shop with a gaping hole. I studied it off and on for a few months. My conclusion was to make a metal lamination with the top and bottom layers in steel with the damages casting sandwiched in between. I used liberal amount of JB Weld on both steel "plates" and compressed everything with five "C"- Clamps. This cured a week and then i sanded and painted the results. The picture with the gaping hole (finished in silver) shows the before shot, the sandwiched steel sheet and the primered and repaired ashtray base. Later I drilled holes to match the support arm on the Bronzart F4U (see previous entry)

Regards,
Tom
Attachments
sandmanoverhaul

Previous

Return to Manufacturer's Models