Lockheed Factory Model Chrome L-14 Super Electra

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

Lockheed Factory Model Chrome L-14 Super Electra

Postby sandmanoverhaul » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:36 am

I bought this very heavy chrome model of the Lockheed Super Electra about two years ago. It was cast with a pedestal into the belly but no base was offered in the auction. in addition the port stabilizer and fin assembly were bent down almost to 90 degrees! There was also a minor problem of a missing prop blade. What to do? Took me until about a month ago to create a plan...

1) WET HEAT- my tried and true system of boiling water in the pot, heat the part five minutes and then slowly re-bend the part(s) back into shape. Heavy gloves, large C-Clamp and PATIENCE are the main ingredients to that operation. It took over 30 "kinks" with boiling in between to get everything trued up again.
2) Prop Blade- the original blades were cast brass and chrome plated. Too costly for that venture so I used aluminum stock. I first created a template from the remaining props then carved, shaped and polished the new blade.
3) The plane is extraordinarily HEAVY! the pedestal had a threaded bolt hole and was intended to be mounted. The configuration excludes the usual classic Lockheed base. What to do? Being the cheap "off-the-shelf" overhauler that I am, I spent some time searching for a chrome base that would work. the solution was a vintage Milbern Chrome Tray. Here is one currently up on auction...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mid-Cen ... SwMgdXyySB

The beauty of this concept starts with the price, cheap! It has the right teardrop shape and already has a hole for the mount when you remove the wood support underneath. Voila'!! Turn it over, bolt on the model and its an instant base!

Eventually I want to finish the model in Lockheed's two color promotional livery...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-ORIG-PRINT ... SwWKtUvUBa
Attachments
Starboard propeller has a missing blade
Now the blade is installed
Milbern Chrome Tray Sacrificed as the new model base
sandmanoverhaul

Re: Lockheed Factory Model Chrome L-14 Super Electra

Postby Toyplaneguy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:10 pm

Beautiful work. Love the model just as is, but you know best how to make it look even better.
Toyplaneguy

Return to Manufacturer's Models