F-16 would-be's

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

F-16 would-be's

Postby solumis » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Sometime you find some stuff that seems to be wrong - but I'm sure they are made for General Dynamics to give them away to militray personal in the "target countrys".
I found in the german ebay a F-16 (1:40) model made by Precise in markings of the german Luftwaffe and even a german description on the stand "Abfangjäger" (interceptor) on it. This one matches perfectly to the F-16 (same size and mfg) of the RAF i bought a while a ago in the UK. As known both air forces don't use the F-16 and the german air force even had a doctrin not to buy any single engine fighters anymore (after the F-104 Starfighter problems in the early 60s). The german F16 uses the basic paint version as the early F-16 of the belgian air force... but they add some green and match the 3 colour painting of the luftwaffe. Both have the black nose that showes it is a A-version. I don't think too many of this ones are made. I hope you like them too.
Attachments
Royal Air Force F-16
Luftwaffe F-16A Abfangjäger
solumis

Re: F-16 would-be's

Postby grwebster » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:42 am

great finds
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby uk 75 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:51 am

These F 16 models are Precise Models

http://www.precisemodelsllc.com/Pages/default.aspx

There is an excellent site about them and their Topping predecessors. If the link does not work just google Precise Models.

The models themselves are very interesting as they come from different periods.

The RAF model is described as the Air Combat Fighter and must be from the early 70s. It is finished in the RAF Lightning colours of the period (metallic with high viz roundels)

The Luftwaffe model is later and finished in the standard NATO low viz colours adopted after the F16 won orders from Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands and Norway (Sale of the Century). The German flag is missing from the tail suggesting that the model was a giveaway to Luftwaffe staff connected with the NATO sale.

Really nice finds.
uk 75

Postby ramseyd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:49 am

I found this one in an Antique mall in Mansfield, Texas (just south of Dallas-Fort Worth) in 2007. No decals and was identified as a "prototype" by the seller. Also, the front logo on the stand has "F-16 Fighting Falcon Lockheed Fort Worth". Guess this was after the 1993 production switch from GD to Lockheed.
Dennis
Lockheed F-16
ramseyd

Return to Manufacturer's Models