who made them?

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

who made them?

Postby solumis » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi,
i have a pair of models that where made out of sheetmetal, silver or nickel plated and the windows are always shown due to roughend before plated. I have seen 3 groups of Mfg that are produced : Fiat (or other italian), Dornier and some english (BAC 1-11, Grant). Until now i saw two types of stands for this ones, a metal triangle one and a marble one. The upright is always the same. The scales are varying and i never saw one with decals or painting
I presume that they are from Italy. Do anyone have some more information? Any pictures
andy
Attachments
Fiat G91
solumis

Re: who made them?

Postby grwebster » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Fomaer, Italy made models with solid cast in canopy finish like that, also others with plastic ones, take a look and especially the various stands they may have used.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fomaer+ ... 54&bih=687

also check this site
http://s30.photobucket.com/user/FromAvi ... t=6&page=1
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby solumis » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:32 am

hi
i don't think that these are from Fomaer. Fomaer had in the background (the main company) a production for aluminium doors, windows and parts, so they are mainly doing casting. I have several of them.
This models are more like schaarschmidt, made out of formed sheet metal (i think it is brass with nickel plated). They are hollow and have engraved lines for a flaps and doors. The models are very accurate and have a much better quality then the german Schaarschmidt ones. The Dornier models are the early types like Do27, Do28a, Do28d. Fomaer, that also produced for Dornier, had the later types like the Do228. Just the Alpha Jet is produced by both of them. I attached a MB339 and you could see the difference between Fomaer and this models. The MB338 is in 1:72 - Fomaer just did a 1:50 with a clear canopy.
Attachments
Fomaer
solumis

Postby faxtolder » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi, the manufacturer should be an Italian company called "Ditta Fere".
The were making this kind of metal models since WW2, you can check some of them out in my thread about the photos of my collection.
I also have a later Fiat G91 identical to yours. The company made this kind of models officially for the Italian Air Force until the Nineties.
They are still in the metal manufacturing business, now producing special parts for automotive and aviation.
Their (very simple) website is http://www.dittafere.it/
I called and the current owner confirmed that the model making business for the Regia Aeronautica was started by his grand-grand-father in 1920, and they finished doing models in the Nineties. I asked whether they had catalogues or photos, he said he would have checked, but they are always very busy and I never got anything...
I'll keep on trying every couple of months... ;)
faxtolder

Postby solumis » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks for the information :D
Perhaps this one (Dornier 17) was made by them too-- it is done the same way
Attachments
solumis

Return to Manufacturer's Models