Iron Annie and other German wartime toy makers DUX, Marklin,

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

Re: Iron Annie

Postby johnbeugels » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:54 pm

Another rare Dux construction model, Dornier D X. John.
Attachments
johnbeugels

Postby fliegerii » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:01 pm

The DO-X I have seen yet once another time on Ebay. I was not sure then, if it is really a DUX.

The JU-52 looks to have replacement props and replacement cabine window !? If you need an original cabine window from second shot #1980, you can contact me. I have one left. It is exactly same as the pre-war part.

Regarding the DUX metal construction kits I love the JU-87 and the BF-109, as they are so close to the originals. When I got my first BF-109 (DUX 90L), it was that pooor, that I converted it into a military type. Meanwhile I have a second specimen in better condition, which I left in original yellow/red paint.
Attachments
fliegerii

Postby grwebster » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:05 pm

many thanks for the photos
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby hovermd » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:06 pm

johnbeugels wrote:Picture of the very rare Dux construction Autogiro. Only available for a short period before 1940.
John.

This one blew me away - I've never seen it.

Does anyone know what kit number belonged to the autogiro? Has anyone ever seen it disassembled and in the original box?
Mark Driver
Toy Helicopter & Rotorcraft Collector
markmdrive@aol.com
hovermd

Postby grwebster » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Still confused buy the name? Me-109 or Bf-109 or Me Bf 109?
go to: http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/articles/bf-me/bf-me.htm

I have had many questions for years about the DUX Me Bf-109 so let me ask the experts. Here is a brief summary of the issue:
We know that DUX was the only wartime firm known to make scale toys of the Messerschmitt Bf 109 {and also the Junkers Ju-87B Stuka see next post below that I will write shortly} There have been errors by auction houses in showing a camouflaged single engine fighter by another German wartime producer, Tipp Co, calling it a Me Bf -109 when in fact it was a Heinkel 100. See below

Here is one of the JU-52s by Tipp. There were several, some larger and some with lights.

My question:
It could be assumed that DUX undoubtedly considered manufacturing their 1:48 scale Me Bf-109 after 1938-9 as the aircraft had became operational and successful in combat at this time but did any production and final assembly and distribution of the toy ever occur by the 1943 ban or even afterwards before the end of the war?

If so, it would have been finished in the full miltary colors of the period in some form of camouflage similar to John's in the photo above with swastika, one could assume, yet no example has ever been found. We have however seen several assembled or still boxed examples of a civilian version but in a ridiculous civilian yellow and red scheme. Why is that? Who produced it? And when was it produced?
GR Webster
grwebster

Re: Iron Annie and other German wartime toy makers DUX, Mark

Postby grwebster » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:00 am

Any discussion mentioning DUX toys should also discuss their Ju-87 B Stuka.
It featured moveable control surfaces including dive brakes, a swastika and camouflaged two-color camouflage on the top surfaces with a sky blue underside, a tin radio antenna post with string attaching to the vertical tail, and even depicted the large B model engine oil cooler in the light color which eased finding oil leaks on the actual airplane in the field after a combat mission.

JEP, Jouets de Paris - a 1920 French toy firm created received the full inventory of the DUX toy company’s Stuka parts and tooling after the war as war reparations. The Stuka toy first appeared in the JEP catalogue in 1945, only months following the end of the war and it rapidly became a popular one in France. When the inventory of DUX parts became exhausted, JEP made new ones with its own logo and the French military markings. Some of these have parts with the DUX logo still stamped on them, others have a mix of DUX and JEP markings or are all JEP marked.

The Dux firm survived intact and went on to make some well known toys in the 1950s such as the Astroman robot, the popular Condor flying helicopter, a variety of vehicle constructor sets, and many small scale toy vehicles.

Above is the German made example of the DUX Stuka Ju-78 B. Note the embossed DUX name and Swallow-in-a-circle logo on different parts such as the propeller hub, and fuselage sides and wings. Wing span is 12 inches

Above is the French JEP made example of the Stuka Ju-78 B. Some had a mix of parts embossed DUX and/or logo and also with the JEP cartouche. It is 19 1/4 inches in length.
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby fliegerii » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:30 pm

GR,

regarding the figure out of the origin of the DUX Bf-109 it is not as easy as one could imagine. We know, that with regard to well known books about Maerklin and TippCo, it was very important to speak to the former workers being employed in the plants during the relevant period. Unfortunately there were no such reports and books done about Markes&Co, the company who produced the DUX toys. All investigations focussed on the big German brands like Maerklin, Schuco, TippCo and GAMA, and nobody took care yet about DUX.
My concern ist, that the origin of the DUX Bf-109 will maybe ever remain unsolved.

My personal guess is, that Markes/DUX started the development of the Bf-109 in wartime, but they did not make it to release the toy in time. After the war they issued it in civil version, since, as one can imagine, an issue of a war fighter plane would have been impossible then. Nevertheless, success was small and only few were made. This is, why the Bf-109 is that rare today.

I have to remark, that Markes&Co is still existing. They just don't make toys anymore, they focus on metal goods like ball bearings and so on. Nevertheless for sure they do not have records or files anymore of their wartime toys.
fliegerii

Postby grwebster » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks Chris
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby CMD » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:39 pm

marklin JU 52/3 clockwork plane
Hello there, happy to read about your famous toys and aircrafts ! I am glad to say that I have also a nice Marklin clockwork tri-motor plane Junkers original 52/3 produced 1930's (it was say mine should be 1936) - Very very nice plane, but a little damaged with the time ;o)

[img]
860295955.jpg
[/img]
CMD

Previous

Return to Manufacturer's Models