Iron Annie and other German wartime toy makers DUX, Marklin,

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

Re: Iron Annie

Postby grwebster » Sun May 26, 2013 10:20 pm

thanks, Chris, all good info and new to me.
I bought the 1990s reproduction by Marklin and have kept it after I reduced the collection. A superb model/toy.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby fliegerii » Sun May 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Getting the second shot #1980 is the way to go. It is as original as the first #1152, made in the same plant in Goeppingen, just with better quality and no zinc rot, and made in 1996 instead the 30s.
The pre-war JU-52 is only for the enthusiastic Maerklin collector, who wants to have everything. And who is not afraid of zinc rot.

I also have the #1980 and the #19801 (Swiss JU-Air).
fliegerii

Postby johnbeugels » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:53 pm

The Tante Ju.
The Marklin Junkers 52 could be bild as a single engine, two engine or three engine aircraft. Not many know that in the original box there was a special nose cone that could be mounted on the fuselage instead of the engine. For that version you also had a special short axle. Otherwise the axle for the front engine was too long. All this is in the building instructions.
The model is quite complicated and I wonder if many children could built it without help of a expert. I had to rebuilt one of my original Ju 52 as the model was put together incorrect in the past. It took me a lot of time and patience before a had fixed the job and without the instructions it is not possible. In my opinion the Marklin Ju 52 is by far the most advanced construction model if compared with Meccano, Mecavion, Aviadyp, Artus, BOB, Dux, Jep, etc.
Hard to find in a good condition but a jewel in every collection.

On the so called new antique from scratch, just rubbish! If you go to Ebay you can find a lot of these models, made in Far east. Hugo Junkers would not be pleased to see these models.

John Beugels.
johnbeugels

Postby fliegerii » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:35 pm

The front nose cone was included in the big box #1152 with three engines and the clockwork.
Point is, that there are only few boxed #1152 models still existing, where the cone is in.
Most #1152 models are w./o. box and built as three engine type. Cone is gone then.

The remark with the complicated building is very true. I tried to get an instruction manual, either as original print, copy or download, but it is impossible.
I helped myself by taking dozens of photographs, when the model was disassembled. The photos were a good guideline to re-assemble the model after cleaning and replacing rotted parts.
I spoke to some German professional restauration companies prior to my work. They told me, that even they try to avoid a complete disassembling of the JU-52, as re-assembling is too complicated....

A real "good" pre-war Maerklin JU-52 is practically impossible to find. All zinc parts are meanwhile rotted.
That's why I recommend the #1980 re-issue in general.
fliegerii

Postby grwebster » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:59 am

It is amazing to me that two of our members have some 1930s Marklin aircraft!
In all my years of collecting and visiting shows and fleamarkets all over the place, I have only seen one.
Very interesting info, thanks John and Chris.
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby johnbeugels » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:36 am

The Ju 52 is indeed very rare. In 30 years I saw only five on swapmeets, one in Zurich antique toyshop, one in Paris and two at worldwide Dutch main Meccano dealer Famous Toys. I first bought the re-issue wich is indeed free from fatigue. But still hunted a original. Finally I found two at a decent price. One with box, complete with minor fatigue, sold in Netherlands in 1930th. So with Dutch roundels and with Dutch instructions. The other one has severe fatigue and missing the rudder but otherwise complete. It came with German instructions. The often damaged and missing propellers can obtained from Swiss restorer Toy-doc.
For Chris I can make fascimiles of the German instruction booklet if he needed one. So let me know.

On Ebay and German auctions the plane is for sale from time to time but hardly more then one a year.
johnbeugels

Postby fliegerii » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Hello John,

yes, a copy of the instruction sheet would be great to have. I will send you my mail-address via PM.

I have some spare parts for the JU-52 available, some original and some 2nd shot. But I have only a damaged vertical rudder part (the fixed stab) and a rear horizontal rudder (don't know if left or right side). If you need details, you can respond to my PM.

For the restauration of my first pre-war three engine version I have withdrawn to use parts from Mr. Iseli. These are rather expensive and all made from tin. In the end it was better to get a cheap unboxed 2nd shot and to use this as spare donator.
I was lucky to get one for a good low price.

Yes, the pre-war JU-52 is rare. Did you know, that Maerklin did also a variety of other tin airplanes for exhibition purpose?
Patrick Despature, a Swiss collector, showed most of them in his new book.
If you have two or three of these models, you own a comperative value of a brand new Ferrari ...
fliegerii

Postby grwebster » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Chris and John, its time for posting photos of what you are discussing, please. We now have around 500 members on this site and the wide majority have ever seen any of the toys you are talking about.
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby johnbeugels » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Hello, here a picture of the Marklin Ju 52 with the special nosecone.
Attachments
johnbeugels

Postby johnbeugels » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Picture of the very rare Dux construction Autogiro. Only available for a short period before 1940.
John.
Attachments
Here the very rare Dux Autogiro, tinplate construction model.
johnbeugels

PreviousNext

Return to Manufacturer's Models