Iron Annie and other German wartime toy makers DUX, Marklin,

Prototype/design models. Desk models contracted by or made in house by aircraft manufacturing firms. Makers of these types of models include Topping, Precise etc...

Moderator: larrymak

Iron Annie and other German wartime toy makers DUX, Marklin,

Postby ironannie206 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Hello, I have come across this steel rough made copy of an Iron Annie. It measures 17 inches long and has wingspan of 24 inches. I thought this was one of those modern reproductions that are found in shops but the stickers are actual ones that I have seen on official models. This weighs almost 2 pounds. i am wondering if this was a prototype or was it made to hang in a shop or was it just made but some crafty collector that had leftover stickers. thanks and have a great day!
ironannie206

Re: Iron Annie

Postby ramseyd » Fri May 24, 2013 4:07 pm

I vote for Crafty Hong Kong Seller! I think the wing connection to the fuselage is too rough for an older model.
ramseyd

Postby grwebster » Fri May 24, 2013 4:54 pm

I would agree that it is a china made 'antique'. vintage 2011.
These have no value but are intersting decorator items.
There is a white french flying boat made in the same way that is seen from time to time on ebay and many others that all come from the same place.
GR Webster
Central Florida, and France
grwebster@aol.com grwebster@me.com
grwebster

Postby grwebster » Fri May 24, 2013 5:01 pm

a quick google search shows both a Revell plstic kit with IWC decals and a Marklin repro and Franklin Mint one with the same markings. IWC had a full scale JU-52 painted up like that for a promo, apparently a round-the-world flight.
https://www.google.com/search?q=IWC+ju- ... 24&bih=759
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby ironannie206 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:40 am

hello and thanks for quick replies. the sticker situation is as I had been thinking that they were from actual model kits. I am only into this item for $2.00 so I will not feel bad when it goes at my next flea market sell. thanks again to everyone!
ironannie206

Postby grwebster » Sat May 25, 2013 6:50 am

great price for an interesting decoration.
GR Webster
grwebster

Junkers Ju-52/3m

Postby Tone » Sun May 26, 2013 7:12 pm

ramseyd wrote:I think the wing connection to the fuselage is too rough for an older model.

I have never seen such a bad wing-to-fuselage joint ! ! ! It's better to have a separate fuselage and wing assemble with a clasp (or turnbuckle) connection.
Tone

Postby fliegerii » Sun May 26, 2013 9:26 pm

I recently purchased this Maerklin pre-war #1151 Ju-52 1/M.

That's how an old model should look like.
Attachments
fliegerii

Postby grwebster » Sun May 26, 2013 9:40 pm

isn't it missing the other two motors? Its very rare in any condition. Was the swastika removed?
The only ones I have seen had metal fatigue/degradation of the cast metal parts- Is yours ok?
GR Webster
grwebster

Postby fliegerii » Sun May 26, 2013 10:17 pm

The Construction Maerklin JU-52 was sold as 1 engine version (#1151) and as 3 engine version (#1152). The pictured model is a clean #1151, as it does not have any signs of the relevant supplementary parts being ever used. No signs of any wing engines ever mounted and no signs of a clockwork. The #1151 also did not have the clockwork.

The tail fin and the front engine had fatigue, yes. I have stabilized the fatigue with super-glue (Cyanacrylate) and repainted it after dry buffing. That's the usual way to go, in case you try a rescue. Many collectors leave it cracked (it looks that nice old...), but this is not my way. I hope, it remains stable at least for a while.

The flaps are all original. I have completely re-assembled the model and replaced the old wires with new ones. All functions are now again working. I'm sure, there are not many pre-war Maerklin Ju-52 around, where all functions still work.
Flaps are bit bent, but still good.

I also have the pre-war 3/M #1152, but that one has all die cast parts replaced with new ones from 2nd shot of 1996.

PS: The sawstika was a decal supplied supplementary to the construction kit. If used at the time, it was for sure removed after 1945 in nearly all cases.
Attachments
Last edited by fliegerii on Sun May 26, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fliegerii

Next

Return to Manufacturer's Models